PDA

View Full Version : Arniston Coast

Kobus Tollig
06-24-2010, 07:26 AM
This image was Taken in the Western Cape at a place called Arniston.Close to the most southern tip of Africa.(look on map:D)

No Filters used here....All color 100% natural....im amazed
2 Exposure blend
f5
ISO 100
ss/334 sec

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv208/ktol/IMG_4417copy.jpg

Dave Mills
06-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Kobus, The colors are beautiful and since you were there I believe they are natural. The cove is well placed in the image with a nice use of the rock as a framing foreground. The slow SS gave the water a silky look which is pleasing.
Due to the low light it's hard for me to tell how sharp the whole image is since it was shot at F5.
Did you use a tripod? If so, I would have gone for more DOF. PLeasing image!

Kobus Tollig
06-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you Dave appreciate it. Colors was saturated a bit but really are natural. Yes bigger dof might have better but it was almost dark when I shot this and thus f5 was ok for this. Don't thin dof a problem on full size really. If I used say f16 my shutter would be open maybe 20min and I did not really want to go there.
Appreciate youyr comment Dave. Cheers

Robert Amoruso
06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Colors are great and I like the arcing of the coastline and how it points towards the sunset (I assume sunset).

THough it may not be better, I would try lightening up the darker portions of the FG.

Kobus Tollig
06-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Robert thank you appreciate it. This is a sunrise. The darker part of the image has detail in them on normal size. The resize seems to "loose" the detail.

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Kobus,
The colors are absolutely fantastic!!! I would open up the LL side a bit......but I do think this is suffering from compression. I do have an interesting observation to others on the forum!......as a landscaper originally....who diversified to avian/wildlife/ & macro photography.......Landscapers (myself included!) have always shied away from higher f-stops!!!.....since my night photography endeavours....and also avain/macro....I don't shy away from the hihger f-stops on todays modern cameras! You could have easily gone to f16.....at ISO 400!....with the same final result!

I think this is an excellent image....just some food for thought for your next time out!

Morkel Erasmus
06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
colours are out-of-this-world bud...top notch and the composition is also schweet...silky water puts it over the top...

Colin Knight
06-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Outstanding Kobus! Wwith the relatively "shallow" DOF, where did you decide to focus to keep the whole image sharp?

Kobus Tollig
06-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Thank you all for the comment. Appreciate it lots. I have learned that when you take images in the dark, dof does not play a big role.....for example when you take images of stars with a foreground you can use f4 or even f2.8 and the tree and stars will be in focus. With that in mind I took this. It was dark here. I had to use a headlamp to see in the viewfinder where to focus. I focused on the bush right infront. Roman I hear you but ISO 400 would have given me to much noise at 5 min exposure. Sometimes one has to find the middle way. :-)

Bob Miller
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi Kobus....Sweet image. Big congrats! Is it possible to lighten up the rocks on the left ?

Kaushik Balakumar
07-03-2010, 03:32 AM
The accentuated (rich) colours suit this image. Loved that coastline.
Might correct the barrel distortion on the horizon line.
Thank you for sharing.