PDA

View Full Version : Moon Shot

Michael Yessik
03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I was trying to take pictures of a short-eared owl, which came out just after sunset. So it was pretty dark, and the owl was flying, so I was on Manual mode, set to 1/200s, wide open (f5.6 using my 200-400 VR with 1.4xTC), and Auto-Iso with my D300. I looked up and saw the moon, and just took a shot without changing any of the settings. I would have surely slowed the shutter way down if I had thought about it, but, fortunately, I didn't think, just took the shot. The ISO got set to 900 and the magnification was 550mm. By the way, the owl shots didn't turn out very well.

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello Michael and welcome.

I like the presentation. There seems to be a lack of sharpness in the image. Did you sharpen it? I would not go slower shutter speed-wise if lens technique was the problem here. Make sure when you are on a tripod you are damping vibration using your body by place one had over the top of the lens in front of the tripod head and pressing down, holding the camera tight and pressing down on the body, place your eye tight against the eyecup (don't were glasses) and don't breath when you press the shutter. Thanks for posting.

Michael Yessik
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Thank you for your comments on lens technique. I had not sharpened the image. Here is a sharpened image. Is this preferable?

Hello Michael and welcome.

I like the presentation. There seems to be a lack of sharpness in the image. Did you sharpen it? I would not go slower shutter speed-wise if lens technique was the problem here. Make sure when you are on a tripod you are damping vibration using your body by place one had over the top of the lens in front of the tripod head and pressing down, holding the camera tight and pressing down on the body, place your eye tight against the eyecup (don't were glasses) and don't breath when you press the shutter. Thanks for posting.