Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/250"
F8
ISO:200
LR & CS3

Julie Kenward
06-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Ken, you really outdid yourself on this one! Wonderful angle to get an all-blue BG and the perch is even nice! I really like the DOF here - it's practically perfect with all but the very back edge of the wing in focus. Wonderful image!

Greg Ruckert
06-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Beautiful work Ken. How did you get so much of the insect in focus yet the back of the wing is not? It appears to me as though the whole insect should be sharp, is it a matter of perspective?

Allen Sparks
06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Very nice shot Ken...love this species. Great DOF and love the perspective. Was this cropped much? Maybe it is just me but looking at the eyes and thorax it looks like the effect of fairly heavy cropping.

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow Ken I reckon you must live in dragonfly paradise - gorgeous shots daily!! Beautiful colours and composition, some of the image is really sharp e.g. the head/eyes and much of the abdomen yet the thorax appears soft especially where the fine hairs are - could this be a masking artefact?

Ken Childs
06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow Ken I reckon you must live in dragonfly paradise - gorgeous shots daily!! Beautiful colours and composition, some of the image is really sharp e.g. the head/eyes and much of the abdomen yet the thorax appears soft especially where the fine hairs are - could this be a masking artefact?
There's no shortage of dragonflies in this area. I see hundreds daily. :)

I think Allen hit on the problems with this shot. It's a pretty substantial crop.

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Ken,
Very good advice but the crop got ya! This angle is just outstanding.....looks like you will have plenty more ops though!!!

Anita Bower
06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Fantastic colors. Great comp. with the sky as BG. Nothing much to add.