PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 04:13 AM
A cooperative, brilliant-red male Cardinal posed nicely with his somewhat inquisitive look.

Nikon D300, ISO 400, 400mm, f/3.5, 1/250 sec

http://i46.tinypic.com/2urnjf8.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Tom

Michael Hogan
06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Tom, great portrait, pin sharp and lighting quite good. Pity you don't have the whole bird it would then be amazing but really nice as posted.

Ireland is a great place to live and photograph in but how I long for colourfull birds like this one:)

Michael

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Excellent color, detail and eye contact. As mentioned it would be wonderful to see the feet and tail with just a tad more canvas all round. Was it possible to move back? Many thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Well controlled on the reds, and I like the inquisitive pose. IMHO, cutting off the feet and tail spoils this a little. Was this a big crop?

Fabs Forns
06-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Red and green is a killer combination. I feel this is very tight in the frame, even on top and left. Detail in the plume looks good and so do the reds.

Dumay de Boulle
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Good detail in the red plumage. I agree re feet

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Tom, great portrait, pin sharp and lighting quite good. Pity you don't have the whole bird it would then be amazing but really nice as posted.

Ireland is a great place to live and photograph in but how I long for colourfull birds like this one:)

Michael

I was hoping for a portrait but fell a bit short. Thanks for your nice comments. :)
Tom

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Excellent color, detail and eye contact. As mentioned it would be wonderful to see the feet and tail with just a tad more canvas all round. Was it possible to move back? Many thanks for sharing.

Many thanks Judy, glad you enjoyed Mr. Cardinal. :)

The crop is a 100% crop. I wanted a portrait but couldn't quite make it. Thanks for your suggestion to include the feet and tail. I'll give it a go and see what happens next go around.

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Well controlled on the reds, and I like the inquisitive pose. IMHO, cutting off the feet and tail spoils this a little. Was this a big crop?

The reds can be frustrating at times. Yes, it was a big crop ... 100%.

Thanks much for your kind words Stuart. :)

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Red and green is a killer combination. I feel this is very tight in the frame, even on top and left. Detail in the plume looks good and so do the reds.

You are too kind Fabs. I couldn't pass the shot up of Mr. Cardinal and you are so right about the red / green combination.

So glad you liked Mr. Cardinal and I can work on the tightness.

Tom

Thomas Finnie
06-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Good detail in the red plumage. I agree re feet

Thanks Dumay, that is one of my best images. :)