PDA

View Full Version : Common House Fly

Julie Kenward
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Just your common house fly sitting on the leaf of one of my sunflower plants. I underexposed it a bit on purpose and then pulled it down more in both ACR & CS4. I used Viveza to calm down the yellow of the leaf and to brighten the area directly around the fly. I wish he wasn't so dead center but I loved the leaf so much I couldn't stand to crop it any other way.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
F11 @ 1/125th, ISO 400
Manual mode, AWB, handheld, cloudy & overcast sky

Kaushik Balakumar
06-24-2010, 06:02 AM
The leaf appears as though it is floating in air and the fly is sailing on it !
I actually liked this 'floating look'. The black BG is perfect for this image.

Dave Woeller
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I think Kaushik is right on with the floating leaf impression. This is really cool. I like the yellows as you have worked them and can't think of anything else besides bribing the fly to move left or right a touch. In my opinion, you are right that the leaf makes up for the flys' lack of compositional skills.

Allen Sparks
06-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Beautiful image. Love that jagged edge of the leaf and the floating effect is great. Nice fly too.

Dave Mills
06-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Julie, the image works for me. The leaf might appear to be floating but due to it going to the edge on the right gives an illusion of being anchored. You muted the leaf just enough where the fly becomes stronger as a center of interest. Creatively done!

Myer Bornstein
06-24-2010, 02:23 PM
for an annoying subject a beautiful picture

Paul Lagasi
06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Julie, any bug is worth capturing even a fly, lolol..but I like swatting them first with swatter then placing them on a leaf :D, seriously...nice capture, colors, sharpness, nicely done

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey Jules,
Well I generally don't like central comps.....but in a few cases it works. W/O the leaf....this would be DOA.....but the way it fades into the black.....agree with all above.....it just works! Would make 1 small suggestions to try.....lighten the reddish eyes to the back of the wings.....it may draw too much attention of overdone......but it is a fly picture:D! Very cool comp and the overall effect is very well done!

Anita Bower
06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I, too, like the floating look. I had no idea house flies were so handsome. I like the dof you chose--works well here, drawing attention to the fly.