PDA

View Full Version : Black-necked Stilt

Colin Knight
06-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Another from my trip to Bull Island, SC. This was a new species for me- both seeing and photographing!

7D, 500mm, 1/2000sec, f/4, ISO 200

http://www.pbase.com/clknight/image/125753049/original.jpg

arash_hazeghi
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
these guys are tough to get with the right wing position, did very well with nice BG. Did you use Fabs's technique to smoothen the shadow transition?

TFS, great shot

Colin Knight
06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks, Arash! I'm not sure what Fabs' technique is, but I tried to soften the harsh shadow using my own workflow. The lighting was bad, but when you've kayaked 5 miles and walked 10, you just take the shot when you get it. :)

BTW, I was reticent to post this after your killer "Take Off" shot recently. :)

arash_hazeghi
06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Arash! I'm not sure what Fabs' technique is, but I tried to soften the harsh shadow using my own workflow. The lighting was bad, but when you've kayaked 5 miles and walked 10, you just take the shot when you get it. :)

BTW, I was reticent to post this after your killer "Take Off" shot recently. :)

Check this out, helps a lot for these situations!!!

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65419

David Thomasson
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Very nice grab, Colin, especially under those conditions! If I had kayaked 5 miles and walked 10, I probably wouldn't be able to lift the camera. :D

I work with a lot of 7D images, so I know what that camera can do. Here's how I would process:

- Expand the canvas at top and crop so the subject is in the lower left area.
- Replace the background; I find the dark areas behind the bird a bit distracting.
- Use S/H to bring out shadow details a bit more.

Something like this ...

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9137/stilt.jpg

Colin Knight
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks David! The only problem I have with the repost is that he was shot with a pond in the BG- the repost takes him completely out of the element where he was photographed.

Thanks as always for your expert opinion.

David Thomasson
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks David! The only problem I have with the repost is that he was shot with a pond in the BG- the repost takes him completely out of the element where he was photographed.

One problem is that the blurred background makes it impossible (for me) to tell what sort of environment the bird was in. I'm probably looser than most about changing backgrounds to make an image more appealing; but I understand the view of wanting to keep an image "as it was."

Colin Knight
06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I understand where you're coming from!

arash_hazeghi
06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with Colin, this bird looks much better against water BG than sky, and it is tougher to get against water BG too, I would combine David's repost with the original BG.

Colin Knight
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks again for your input, Arash.

Fabs Forns
06-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Very good pose and EXP and great to get the red eye to show its colors. I like David repost, but it all boils down to your personal ethics, no problem there :)

Colin Knight
06-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks, Fabs!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Beautifully captured Colin. The soft shadow has always been a very delicate problem to solve. I really love your post Colin as is since the shadow is very slight. Lovely wing position and the red eye makes it for me. Fine work !!

Stu Bowie
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Colin, great to get a Stilt in flight, they always seem to stroll around in shallow waters. I like the wing position, and would go with your OP BG. Davids repost does add an extra dimension, and its difficult to judge when the eyes and brain see the original first.

Colin Knight
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks very much Stuart and Judy!

David Thomasson
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Check out Colin's video adventures. It's very nicely done. At one point you'll learn how (not) to get into a kayak loaded with $12,000 worth of camera equipment. :cool:

Part 1 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFVI-vj-NcU&feature=related.

Link to Part 2 is to the right.

Colin Knight
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Haha.......David. On the upcoming videos I'm going to try to focus on the adventure, but more on the photography part of it too.