PDA

View Full Version : Boston Avenue Church

David Stephens
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4717328415_c95bae1b5a_b.jpg

We were in Tulsa for a wedding last weekend and I stayed downtown. Every time that I went outside at night I saw Boston Avenue United Methodist Church lit up. My middle daughter was christined there and it's one of the finest examples of art decco architecture that I've ever seen. Around midnight, after the reception and visiting with other guests in the hotel bar, I pulled out the tripod and 5D MkII to take this picture.

Alfred Forns
06-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Sweet and love the mood !!! It is impressive.... and had no idea Tulsa had any Art Decco Architecture ! Thanks !!

David Stephens
06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Sweet and love the mood !!! It is impressive.... and had no idea Tulsa had any Art Decco Architecture ! Thanks !!

Thanks.

Tulsa was extremely wealthy during the 1920s because of the first Oklahoma/Texas oil boom. People like Getty, Skelly and the Phillips brothers amassed fortunes that would be in the many billions if made today. They spent a lot of their money on their homes and public architecture. Thankfully, much of it is preserved because the city has remained resonably prosperous and values its history.

Gilcrease Museum is worth the trip by itself, housing the biggest and most comprehensive collection of Western and "Cowboy" art in the world. The paintings by Remmington, Russel and Moran are breathtaking. It gets very hot and muggy in the summer, so go in the fall. Springs also glorious, except for the tornadoes.

Harshad Barve
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
beautiful church and excellent image
TFS

Julie Kenward
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
That's an awesome church, David! Any idea what's in the tallest part of the steeple/tower?

David Stephens
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Julie, just counting floors on the image, it looks to be 18 to 20 stories, so that'd put it around 200-fT, which seems like a good approximation. It can be seen from many points around Tulsa.