PDA

View Full Version : Cinnabar Moth II

Karl Günter Wünsch
06-23-2010, 02:18 AM
http://www.my-photohome.de/kgw/2010-06-22-tyria_jacobaeae_245_crop_bp.jpg
Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM @ f/9, 1/80, ISO 320, tripod, slight crop as the ever so light breeze was always messing with the composition when dying down...
Again shot south of the Nordkanal between Schiefbahn and Kaarst on a disused field full of (poisonous) ragwort. This time the perch and lighting lent itself to the diagonal composition that the previous sample didn't :)

Allen Sparks
06-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Love the pink perch and the background is nice too - wonderful tones in this shot. The resulting contrast with the dark subject is terrific. Very nice image.

Julie Kenward
06-23-2010, 11:29 AM
That moth really anchors this image nicely Karl. I know the DOF isn't perfect on the perch but the moth is about as good as it gets. Love the soft tones against that bright red streak on the moth. Lovely diagonal composition.

Dave Mills
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi Karl, Good diagonal comp with soft lighting and an interesting subject. The color of the ragwort compliments the subject and backround(which is well handled)
Seeing the backround appears distant and you were using a tripod I might have gone to a higher f stop to give a bit more DOF to the image. Otherwise nicely done...

Karl Günter Wünsch
06-24-2010, 02:14 PM
The color of the ragwort compliments the subject and backround(which is well handled)
Just a small correction, the moths caterpillars live on ragwort and gain their poison from eating this plant (which the moth itself is advertising with it's striking color pattern) but the adult moths rarely are seen on ragwort, most of the time they rest on grass - as in this case...

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey Karl,
I read your response on the previous moth image about how skittish they are.....so not much to add to the above. The BG is excellent as is the detail of the moth and grass. Nicely done!