PDA

View Full Version : Azure Damselflies Coenagrion puella

Jonathan Ashton
06-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro & polariser ISO 400 1/125 sec f10

The female became stuck by surface tension and another male thought he would seize an opportunity to steal her.:)

Allen Sparks
06-23-2010, 05:11 AM
I love this action capture and the reflections add another level of interest. Could use more space on the top if you have it. You might want to play around with the lighting levels perhaps darkening hihglights and see what that does - the image has somewhat of a glare to my eyes. Wonderful shot and I wish it were mine...

Jonathan Ashton
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks Allen, I did lower the highlights - it was a very sunny day - but I will have another look see.:)

Paul Lagasi
06-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Jonathan..this is a wild image, I might have done a vertical crop on this one, just me though.....maybe when I was in England last year I should have paid more attention to the insects, not only the birds. Go Three Lions

Dave Mills
06-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Jonathan, Interesting image ! You caught a great moment that is well lit and sharp. I even like the wing blur.
Agree with advice given regarding more space on top. Taking some off the left would tighten the image up...

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Way cool on the action!!!....but there appears to be an exposure issue. If I use the sunny 16 rule and judge the light/shadows...giving a full 2 stops on the polariser.......math says 2/3 to 1 stops over exposed. This is one tough capture and to get even this close....is quite the feat! You may have been able to tweak this exposure wise in the field...just something to keep in mind next time out.

Jonathan Ashton
06-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Yes the light was very tricky and because it was so directional there is a great contrast between light and shade.