PDA

View Full Version : Female Mallard - Having a rant

Pete Woods
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Took this image yestereday whilst out for a stroll along the river Stort

Typical female - plenty to say for herself ;) (joke honest) :)

1D MK3, 100-400 @ 400, f5.6, 1/500sec, ISO250 Handheld.

Jim Poor
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
It could be the swirls around her playing tricks on my eyes, but it looks like this needs some rotation. The sidelight is a bit harsh, but the way it falls on the open bill is a plus. Maybe some fill on the left would have helped a bit.

Alfred Forns
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Pete

Sure wish you had some better light/direction on this one Sure captured the moment but the shadows detract Might be able to do with PS work Love that open beak !!!

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Pete,

I spent some time working it and got the following.

What I did:

1) Curves adjustment and used a reverse s-curve. This lowered overall contrast
2) Created BG Copy and open the Shadow/Highlight Dialog and played around with the amount & tonal widths. On the highlights I was very aggressive with the amount (75). Do to your liking.
3) Slective Color adjustment layer and added 2% black to the neutral and black channels to add some pop lost in the reverse s-curve w/o increasing contrast.

Arthur Morris
03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
The repost is better except for the funky blues. Good job on the quack. When you work off angle to the light, you invite trouble.

later and love, artie

Pete Woods
03-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Robert, thanks for the re post and explanation. :)

Also thanks to all for comments and advise... :)

Anita Rakestraw
03-05-2008, 03:25 AM
There is something about the sweet face and carriage of ducks and geese that always makes the words "courageous dignity" come to my mind. And this one has that cute little "Donald Duck" expression on its face, with the open beak. I straightened the image, then I selected the shadowed area of the duck with a large amount of feathering and applied fill flash (in PSP X2). I desaturated the moss at the top a little, and added a little overall contrast back to the image. Don't know if it's better, but the shadow is alot less distracting. She is so cute; I'd be happy to have made this image.

Pete Woods
03-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks Anita :)