PDA

View Full Version : Moved: Swamp Reflection

Hilary Hann
06-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Not sure if this belongs here or in the OOTB forum but I'll start it here. Taken this afternoon at what we call a black water dam. This old tree stump was all I could see apart from the drifting feathers and the reflection of the lovely, tall eucalypts. I've fiddled a bit with it to try to isolate the stump more (it was very overcast and dull) and keep the tones of the tree reflections. Used Viveza to even out the very bright patches between the trees and added a small amount of grain because I liked it. Probably belongs in OOTB. :confused:
7D; 300mm; f5.6; 1/1000; ISO1600; -0.5ev (because I forgot to reset) HH

Dave Mills
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi Hilary, I laud you for attempting a comp like this which isn't easy to successfully put together. Isolating the stump was a good idea but the overall image is so overpowering with different areas of lighting it takes away from the stumps strength. The bright area in the center competes with the stump for attention.
The noise is subjective since you created it and IMO the drifting feathers are indistinguishable and not adding to the overall.

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
HI Hilary,
I can move this if you prefer.....so just let me know with a PM.

This does fall in to the landscape category though so it can also stay here! For me, I like the concept but all the brighter areas do distract a bit too much. I think you positioned the 3 trunks and stump very well in the frame but the whites draw the main attention. If you had a more drmamatic/graphic pattern....it may have worked but I gnerally try to avoid a sky in these type sof situations.....moving around may have given you more greenery as a BG. I'm with Dave on the feathers.....they aren't strong enough to give interest.

Let me know if youwant it moved or keep it here!

Hilary Hann
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Dave and Roman. I agree with all the points raised but wanted some opinions so I could go and re take the photo as it is just across the road from my house. I can try different times of day and angle if it is worth it, which it is just to hone technique. If it moves I might re post with some additional filters which I didn't want to do in the landscape forum. Thanks. :)

denise ippolito
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Hilary, Great advice already given above. I will just add that this is very interesting to me since I love swamp scenes. I'm not a fan of the grain and feel it adds a bit to the chaos. I like the placement of the stump also.

Hilary Hann
06-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks Denise, I'll take that into account for my re-post. :)

Kerry Perkins
06-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Hilary, I agree with previous comments and feel that the grain is not adding interest. Might try going the other way with it, like a Simplify smoothing filter or a blur on all but the stump. I think some minor tweaks would make this one stronger. The basic idea is good!

Hilary Hann
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks Kerry, I have to admit that I was very lazy with this image because I just wanted to post something in landscape (where I put it originally) and I deserve criticism for that laxity. I will make amends by putting some effort into my idea over the next few days.

Hilary Hann
06-24-2010, 03:19 AM
I haven't had a chance to re take this yet, but have worked on my original and achieved a completely different effect. Interested to know what you think of this take. I tried to go back to the original swampish feel but wonder if I've made it too murky.

denise ippolito
06-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Hilary, This is a completely different look. I think you have created the autumn and spring looks for this image very well. I might try a very slight curves adj. if it were mine. I do like the mood you have created :)

Hilary Hann
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Denise, appreciate the feedback.