PDA

View Full Version : Antelope Twins

Andrew Merwin
06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Mrk3, bean bag, minor crop, ISO 400, 1/1250, 700mm, f/8. I shot this in YNP about a week ago in mid to late afternoon under a mostly sunny sky. I used f/8 in an attempt to get both in focus.
Andrew

Arthur Morris
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Two cute subjects. Sharp with a good EXP. BKGR nose and BOKEH are problematic. Pointing the camera down a bit would have eliminated the clutter at the top and given the animals a bit more room below.

Thanks BTW for your membership support.

Alfred Forns
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Agree with comment and can add would like seeing some separation !! Excellent !!

Harshad Barve
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
You have to agree with two mighty fine photographer's comment above :) they are cute indeed
TFS

Hilary Hann
06-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Always happy to see antelope and deer images posted and this is a beauty. Not sure what the BOKEH is (will have to look at the abbreviation list later) but I would consider a re-crop taking a bit off the top and right. This would leave a more balanced amount for the little fellow on the left to leap into, in comparison to the amount on the right for the standing antelope.

I wonder if adding a little black from the 'selective colour' in PS would give a bit more punch to the antelope. Maybe someone with better tech skills will have a suggestion.

Steve Kaluski
06-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Looks like things are improving Andrew, perhaps a pano crop might help, with a bit of NR for the BG?

Steve;)

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi Hillary, BOKEH is not an acronym :) I was doing photography for more than 20 years before I ever heard of it. It refers to the smoothness or jangliness (to coin a word) of the background--you can see bad BOKEH in the upper half of this image. BOKEH is determined by the individual lens and the aperture choice. Some lenses offer great BOKEH most of the time, others feature bad BOKEH most of the time especially when stopped down a bit (as here).

Hilary Hann
06-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks Arthur, I shall try to avoid BOKEH on my images now although I rather like the word so will try to incorporate it into some critiques! :)

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I am not sure that there is much that you can do if you have a lens with really bad BOKEH. Using the widest or close to the widest aperture will usually minimize bad BOKEH. And some great lenses feature bad BOKEH only at one or two of the smaller apertures. I seem to notice that bad BOKEH is more likely to be evident when it is sunny out....

Hilary Hann
06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks again, it is something I will try to become aware of.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
You are most welcome. :) That's what we are here for.

Andrew Merwin
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a repost. I changed the crop & ran some noise reduction. Unfortunately, the LHS is at its maximum.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
The crop is much better and the NR reduced the effects of the bad BOKEH. The big problem is all of the extraneous grasses. With some skill and lots of times many of the offending grasses can be removed. See tomorrow's BAA Bulletin for details on that (if doing so fits with your personal ethics).

Andrew Merwin
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
The crop is much better and the NR reduced the effects of the bad BOKEH. The big problem is all of the extraneous grasses. With some skill and lots of times many of the offending grasses can be removed. See tomorrow's BAA Bulletin for details on that (if doing so fits with your personal ethics).

Yep. I knew that when I tripped the shutter. The fawns were moving further away into denser grass & this was the best shot available. People began arriving making the family nervous. I decided to move on rather than contribute to the potential problems created by arriving turons.
Andrew

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
What is a turon?

Steve Canuel
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
What is a turon?

Touron. A combination of the words tourist and moron.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Touron. A combination of the words tourist and moron.

Thanks Steve. I could have made the connection from from touron to moron but the typo got me:)

Andrew Merwin
06-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks Steve. I could have made the connection from from touron to moron but the typo got me:)

Sorry about the typo.

Hilary Hann
06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Tourin and BOKEH … this thread is like a whole special tutorial all on its own. Fabulous! :)

Rachel Hollander
06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Andrew - like the image. The repost improves it. Yellowstone has a whole breed of touron all its own - those that attempt to walk up to the bears or bison to have their photos taken with them with a point & shoot.

TFS,
Rachel