PDA

View Full Version : Short Ear Owl

Jason G. Harrison
06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Sitting here...suffering from the horrible heat wave we are in...I find myself longing for winter already! This image was taken on a horribly cold day, temp was 12-15 degrees with a 35-45 mph west wind, making very dangerous windchills.

With the extreme winds, the 14" of fresh powder snow was blowing like mad and I had to abandon my 4x4 much earlier than I had planned. I had to hike much further in the snow...and as a result could not get exactly where I wanted. I will share a series of images taken on this day. I was either standing in 3 feet of snow or sitting on top of 3 feet of snow in most of these images. That was the best spot I could find, the other areas I sunk up past my waist in the huge snow drifts (I left my truck next to a drift that was taller than the cab of my Ford F350 4x4 Powerstroke):eek: Due to the wind...the Owls did not hunt much so I tried to make due on the few times they flew from their roost site to hunt. When they flew close to the ground...they were in a white out of blowing snow...I will share those later. This Owl was up enough to get away from the blowing snow.

With all that said...here is an image.

D300s, 600VR, f/6.3, ISO 400, 1/2500th Manual exposure

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/2160_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed...as always C&C welcomed and encouraged.

Jason

Harshad Barve
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Killer eye contact here , lovely placement in frame and slight wing blurr shows motion , Excellent image
TFS

Michael Hogan
06-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Lovely shot. Like the way the owl is pin sharp and the wings slightly blurred, as Harshar said it gives a feeling of motion. The eyes are fabulous. Not sure if there is anything that I would (or should say - could) do to improve it.

TFS

Michael

arash_hazeghi
06-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Excellent details and sharpness, awesome head on view, tempted to go 3X2crop.

Grace Scalzo
06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Jason, that crisp blue sky sets off the bright yellow eyes and the wing blur keeps it from being static. Thanks for sharing what it took to create this fine image and I'm looking forward to more. I also like your composition.

Colin Knight
06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Well done! Those eyes are captivating. I'm sure the effort put in to the image makes it worth it all the more!

Craig Brelsford
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I like the sharpness, the eye contact, and the wing blur. Good job.

Troy Lim
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Jason, as always, love your owl photos.
Never seen SEO in person.

Kiran Poonacha
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
loved the eye contact and that BG...