PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly charge captured on film

Desmond Chan
06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
He was filming the bear:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/20/bc-grizzly-charge-leon-lorenz.html

Daniel Cadieux
06-22-2010, 06:11 AM
I saw that on the news last night...quite the footage, but he was real lucky to escape unharmed!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
She is just trying to protect her cub, I don't know why people sensationalize these things so much. She is doing what any mother would. If he knew the cub was around , then I would ask why is he filming. If he had been killed the mother would have been shot, and the cub would have died.

Ed Cordes
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
If the bear wanted him she would have gotten him! I think the bear was just trying to intimidate. She did a great job of it. Interesting how the cub follows the mom.

sandy richards
06-23-2010, 01:12 AM
This looks like a very intended attack to me, not just intimidation. i think the filmmaker would be long dead if he had not fired the shot to scare her off, and at the exact moment he did.
I agree fully with Jackie - what was he even doing near a mom and cub? How many "Jim Cole" situations does it take for people to learn?

Alfred Forns
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Shows the power !!! Can't imagine being hit with that much mass and speed ..... and then the biting part !!!! He is one lucky person !!

Paul Lagasi
06-23-2010, 05:36 PM
He must love those bears....with a bear 10 feet from me, I'm not sure I could have only fired a warning shot....glad no one was hurt

Sabyasachi Patra
06-28-2010, 01:12 AM
This is really unfortunate. I think with the ease of availability of camera/filming equipment, everybody wants to move in close without adequate knowledge of animal behaviour. It takes a long time to acquire knowledge of animal behaviour. I think either you go with a trained guide, else don't take your chances. These kind of incidents appear to be happening at a regular frequency. Whether it is a carnivore or not, any mother will be sensitive when cubs are around. In this case, the Grizzly got startled by the presence of the photographer.

I hope through BPN we can raise awareness.

Sabyasachi