PDA

View Full Version : SEO on a post

Austin Thomas
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

Here is an image of a Short Eared Owl that was very obliging and sat on this post for a minute whilst I rattled off some images. It was taken in NE Norway during a recent trip specifically to photograph the bird life inside the arctic circle.

C&C most welcome.

Cheers

Austin

Canon 1DMK4, 500mm +1.4x, f6.3, ISO500, 1/1000

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Eye contact and BG look very good. I might sharpen the bird a tad more and put him a bit further to the right in the frame. I see a slight magenta cast on my monitor.

Mike Milicia
06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice bird! I will just second Axel's comments. I'm seeing the cast as well.

Fabs Forns
06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
That is some eye contact!
Nice BG and feather detail. The mentioned cast should be easy to fix in Color Balance, adding some green.
TTS.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Ditto X3. Love the BKGR. My only wish would be for a more natural perch. Did you get to photograph any of the eiders?

Harshad Barve
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Excellent eye contact , details and BG here , agree on color cast , easy fix
TFS

Troy Lim
06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
What a great shot.
Eyes on most owls are stunning.

Stu Bowie
06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Good eye contact Austin, with a lovely smooth BG. I still need to capture any owl.

Austin Thomas
06-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Ditto X3. Love the BKGR. My only wish would be for a more natural perch. Did you get to photograph any of the eiders?

Hi all, Thanks for the feedback on the colour cast. I will take a look at that.

Hi Artie, No, unfortunately not. We arrived early in June which I understand is pretty late for King and Steller.

Cheers

Austin

Rich Steel
06-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Hi Austin

I recognise that bird ;). As we discussed at the time the perch was not the greatest. I agree with what the others have said re magenta cast to the image. I have noticed that the colour profiles in Capture One for the mkIV seem to push towards the red side but eaily adjusted down during raw processing.

Artie we were a bit late for the eiders. There are usually some residual birds but a group of Dutch birds said they had only located one Stellars and one juvenile King Eider. This can be contrasted with March when the harbours are full of these birds. Hugh Harrop runs photos trips up there at that time of year and gets some great results with the eider. You might want to check this for interest

http://hughharropwildlifephotography.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

Cheers

Rich

Chris van Rooyen
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Lovely posture and background. I also notice a slight magenta cast.