PDA

View Full Version : So Close!

D. Robert Franz
06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
From my 2nd night at the saw-whet owl nest.. Here I used a phototrap. I wasn't sure of the exact approach the owl would take to the nest so I wasn't lined up properly.. With other chances when I was in a better position the owls wings weren't right. This is very difficult to pull off. Plus a killer grizzly bear could be roaming the area (see discussion in General fourm). Puts a entirely new dimension in bird photography.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Date/Time: 2009:06:18 00:03:44
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Focal length: 116mm

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
The owl might be flying away from you but I find this pretty impressive nonetheless. Could you say more how you set up the flashes?

Stay safe!

D. Robert Franz
06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
The owl might be flying away from you but I find this pretty impressive nonetheless. Could you say more how you set up the flashes?

Stay safe!

Axel,

2 flashes on tall light stands, right flash was main, left fill at 45 degree angles from subject assumed position for trap and 2 more in a similar arrangement for me at my camera for portraits etc.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Axel,

2 flashes on tall light stands, right flash was main, left fill at 45 degree angles from subject assumed position for trap and 2 more in a similar arrangement for me at my camera for portraits etc.

I've never tried night photography and find this very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Joe Senzatimore
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Went to a seminar on this once. It is not easy to pull off. While this might not be the "perfect" shot , I find it very interesting as it gives the viewer a look into the owls behavior not normally seen. If I were you I might give up on this until the bear is gone.;););) But try again when it is safe as I think you may get what you are looking for. When you do please share it.

Colin Knight
06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Very interesting process you have working here, Robert. I can't wait to see what happens when everything lines up!

Fabs Forns
06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Dang, as Axel says, vet impressive image. I always wondered how those traps work.
Thanks for the explanation on the tech part.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Techs and EXP right on. Bummer about the flight path angle...

Kim Rollins
06-22-2010, 03:38 AM
I too think though not perfect because of the flight path but great effort put into the attempt and result certainly could have been worse too. The activity shown is unusual for us to see. Thank for sharing this.

Grace Scalzo
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I came back and looked at this image a few times. Sure, it's not ideal, but still holds alot of interest and has to be a unique capture.