PDA

View Full Version : Absoroka Mountains Storm

D. Robert Franz
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
From this weekends Father's Day camping trip with the famlily.. We had a number of storms roll through.

Used a lightning trigger for this

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Date/Time: 2009:06:19 17:33:02
Shutter speed: 1/15 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Tv
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Focal length: 105mm

Dave Mills
06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Robert,that lightening trigger really did the job! The lightening even cooperated by placing itself in a good position. Very dramatic sky and a view of the mountain range. I like the fact that you minimalized the water and the contrast in lighting on the foreground hill plays well against the backround. Well done!

Harshad Barve
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Dramatic scene here , well seen and very well done , excellent image
TFS

Hilary Hann
06-22-2010, 04:38 AM
I really interesting image with the lightning adding much to the composition. What I like most is the detail that has been retained in the light sky on the right, it would have been so easy to lose that (for me anyway!). Excellent.

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree with Dave, very well composed and the lightning was very cooperative and placed itself well in the frame. Good proportions for the water to land to sky to maximize the layering, feeling of depth and capturing the lightning just right.

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Dale,
I have the trigger myself but I also want to let others know that while this increases your chances......you still have a tough time composing exactly where it will strike! I like the entire scene.....except the water. Even thouhg it is minimized....for me the solid color tkaes away from some of the wonderful textures and layers. when I browser crop this to just above the water.....I like that comp more......but that is always subjective. Great job composing this and very nice job with the lightning and overall light!

Andrew Merwin
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Beautiful image. Extremely well executed. Beautiful light. This is probably part of the same storm that spawned a tornado in Billings that destroyed the Metra.
Andrew

John Blumenkamp
06-23-2010, 02:05 AM
This looks great Dale... dramatic with the cloud variation in addition to the lightning strike.

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Hi Dale, all has been said above, but what was the lens used?

TFS
Steve ;)

D. Robert Franz
06-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi Dale, all has been said above, but what was the lens used?

TFS
Steve ;)

Hi Steve,

The lens was the 24-105F4L

David Kennedy
07-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, was the lightning trigger from these guys (http://www.lightningtrigger.com/), or was it one of the knock-offs from eBay? I've been curious for a while now if the eBay ones work, as I'm not convinced that I would use it enough to justify the original's price...

Jackie Schuknecht
07-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Looks interesting, have no idea how a lightning trigger works. Any 101's on this. Lightening bolt looks perfectly positioned. And it is probably full frame too:cool: