PDA

View Full Version : Who's for lunch

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Well I thought I might follow the theme - 'Dinner'

This was the one and only time where a Polar bear was on the pack ice, in reasonable light, with a meal.

Trying to spot these guys is worse than in the Mara for Cheetah, or India for Tigers, a white object on a white surface, easy hey:D In addition, you are on a small vessel, rolling (pitching) slightly (side to side) whilst manoeuvering into position and you are trying to photograph with a 500mm...

MKIII 500f/4 1/3200 f/5.6 ISO200 (Gitzo tripod Wimberely head, FF)

Fabs Forns
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh my, poor Seal. At least it was not killed by humans and it's part of nature. I love seeing P Bears and this is great action. I hear you about working from a small boat, very good results, I'd say :)

I hear you have a Bday coming soon, have a great day and give a hug to Andy from me.

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Fabs

The vessel was M/S Stockholm, that is where I met Ken W. It was a small ice breaker build in 1953, great ship, great crew, certainly different from working from a vehicle.

Re Birthday, well mine was a few weeks ago, but we are all the same age, hence the party last Saturday night as my Brother-in-Law & wife were over from Italy. I did pass on your regards to Andy who likewise replied as back, as Al knew I was seeing him. FYI he is now doing a lot more in the UK.:)

Steve

Fabs Forns
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info, Steve, and then happy belated Bday :)

Phil Ertel
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Steve,

I like this. Not only does it show behavior it gives us a view of the habitat. Personally I like the how light falls on the upper body and head and seal are in the yields a shadow on the side of the bear. I think this really helps frame the action. Great results from photographing from a pitching boat. Thanks much for sharing.

D. Robert Franz
06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Very impressive.....

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Steve - Happy Belated Bday! Very powerful image. Amazing what you did from a pitching boat. Like the composition very much and the detail looks good. I hope to go photograph the polar bears one day.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
belated congrats Steve!! many more to you...

I would love to be able to go to Svalbard one day. Love how the red just pops here, and glad you are following the "theme"

I'm curious - how far can you rotate this CCW before the bear looks awkward? Can you get the waterline in the BG level?

Steve Canuel
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
What a vibrant contrast of colors. All of them rich and natural looking. Very nice detail in the bear's fur and the snow.

DanWalters
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Very nice! Good details in the whites and I like the way the red of the seal contrasts with the snow.

Alfred Forns
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
High impact image Steve I like how you were able to frame the P bear and how the victim is shown !! Big Congrats on this one !!!

Steve Kaluski
06-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks everyone

Probably one of the most difficult animals to photograph I found, the No.1 being Nazca Booby. Having high contrasting colours, or minimal light/colour proved interesting to say the least.

I think the count was 44 bears at various times of the day, of which less than 50% were close by, but again, the weather or time of day was not always on our side ie 2.00am. All other sightings were curious bears, or bear waiting patiently at a seal hole. This guy allowed us about 10-15 mins before he retreated back into the water, we then moved off not wishing to cause any more disruption, or distress.

Hi Morkel, I know what you mean as I did wonder, but rotating the image sadly isn't an option as it would be too much. This was one of the few channels still open as the pack ice began to freeze.

Thanks
Steve ;)

Harshad Barve
06-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Just ading my congratulations Steve , Mighty fine image
TFS

Danny Laredo
06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I really like this image, filled with action and a story behind it.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Steve,
Belated Happy Birthday!

Nice image. It is good that you got one image with a kill. It can be tough to place the right AF point on the face. I think the image is fine as is and CCW rotation is not necessary. Wish to see these amazing creatures in the wild someday. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
PS: I was under the impression that the colour of Polar bears are more like Mayonnaise rather than white.