PDA

View Full Version : Vivid!

Ramesh Adkoli
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Here is an example of what monsoon can do to the nature. Ramanagara, well known for its rock formations, is in its full splendor as ponds get filled and trees bloom this monsoon. I tried to give the image a Velvia type richness of colors. Appreciate your views.

D700, 24-70mm @36mm, 1/25s, f/10, ISO 200, tripod mount, early morning, cloudy
CNX2, picture control, levels + gradient filter to recover details in the sky

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Greens definitely have that slide film look which I like here. Since the image does not have a center of interest, you have to relay upon geometric patterns to generate interest. You have the arch of the shore, the semi-circle of the bright area lower left, triangle of sky, triangle of land and some nice layering. I can see why you composed it this way.

Overall the image is pleasing but lacks something that makes my eye want to linger, to exam it in detail.

Dave Mills
06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Ramesh, Robert made some good points but due to lack of a center of interest the image there is nothing really holding your attention within the image. I don't feel the bright area in the foreground is a plus...

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Ramesh, Robert made some good points but due to lack of a center of interest the image there is nothing really holding your attention within the image. I don't feel the bright area in the foreground is a plus...

Bright areas always grab attention and being so close to the edge helps the viewers eye out of the frame - something you don't want to happen. I figured here it does at least balance with the sky somewhat but I agree w/o the center of interest...

Ramesh Adkoli
06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Robert and Dave for your views and inputs. Appreciate that. I was aware of a lack of point of interest. But, the beauty and vibrancy of the place was such that i had to capture this frame:) If this image makes the viewer enjoy the beauty of nature, i would consider it was worth the effort.

Thanks for the inputs on the bright area at bottom and its impact on the viewer.

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Ramesh,
I agreed with Robert and Dave above on the center of interest and I too like the Velvia greens. For me the bottom brightness is a deal breaker though and when I scroll to eliminate it......I feel it strengthens the comp more.....although still w/o the focal point.....which got me thinking more......what about bringing out the subtle green layers even more.....making each more distict and bold. Yes this will change the direction of the feel of the image but may be an option worth exploring. Could you have moved a bit more forward?

Ramesh Adkoli
06-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Roman for the suggestion. Will give it a try. The spot i setup the tripod was right at the edge of the pond and couldn't have moved any forward. I took a vertical comp of the same and will post it as well.

regards,
ramesh