Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Spot AF
Picture Style Standard

Another four spot chaser, I like the lateral view - just makes a changes from going all the time for a perfect dorsal shot with ideal DOF north south east west - hope you like it. Having said that, I will be going back to get a dorsal view; this time I want an out of focus green background as opposed to the grey/black background when against water.

Allen Sparks
06-21-2010, 04:34 AM
I really like this image. The subject position right on the bend of the perch adds interest to me and I like how the stick works its way through the shot as well. I like the background as well. Nice details in the subject with pretty good DOF. For hand held shots of dragonflies, I usually try to use the narrowest aperture possible while keeping shutter speed at 1/200 or faster (given no wind). Given that, you may have been able to narrow the aperture a little for more DOF but this shot certainly works well as is.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Neat ! Might desire for a wee bit of sharpening of the abdomen.

Jerry van Dijk
06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Jonathan, these are such wonderful creatures. I like how you experiment with a different angle here, but I get confused by all the different planes running through the focal plane. The perch, wings and abdomen all cross it at different angles, which makes it difficult for me to get a sense of depth in this image.

Julie Kenward
06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Jonathon, I really like this! It almost has a 3-D feel to it. Nice perch and a beautiful and complimentary BG really adds to the image. I agree that a bit more DOF would have been nice but I also like how the wings feel transparent at the edges because of the way you shot this. I'd take a small slice off the left side of the frame if this were mine - maybe half the distance from the end of the tail to the frame - and let all the negative space flow to the front of the DF.

Jonathan Ashton
06-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Thank you for your comments, as ever they are much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Most of my feeling covered above.....so I will ask a few questions.....what time of day was this? Were you able to work another angle???...as the DF was slighly away from you. I ask because I can give extra possibilities if I know the time of day?sun conditions?....to give possible suggestions for next time out!

Jonathan Ashton
06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Roman this shot was taken at 10.30am, I think it unlikely I can recreate this particular shot because the pond will almost certainly be dry by now - however I am now visiting another pond even closer to home and hope to get Broad Bodied Chasers - Libellula depressa. I am eager to recieve any tips you may wish to offer - thank you:cool:

Anita Bower
06-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I like the light on the wings and the lovely bg.