PDA

View Full Version : When nature smiles

Hilary Hann
06-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't post in Avian very often as I just don't have the fire power, sadly. And I look in envy at some of the wonderful images in this forum. Yesterday I was out feeding the horses when a young bronze winged pigeon landed nearby. As I worked it followed me at a distance looking very interested in any bits of fallen feed. Sending my husband off to get my camera I grabbed a handful of oats and sat on the ground hoping to encourage it closer. It was very young and fearless and I wonder if some neighbours are feeding the wild birds. No other accounting for its' happiness at eating oats right by my feet. Anyway, I threw some oats on a nearby log and up it hopped, so this is the result … with a 50mm lens! Very happy to have something to post here at last. :)
7D; EF 50mm f1.8 @ f5.6; 1/1000; ISO400

sandy richards
06-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Hilary, really nice catch!
Interesting pose, beautiful colors, and nice eye.
I'd perfer a tad more room on the bottom, if you have it available.
A bit of fill flash would have helped too - but very nice as is.

Morkel Erasmus
06-21-2010, 01:35 AM
nice shot Hilary! a bit tight at the bottom but lovely colours and direct eye contact here...50mm! :eek:

Hilary Hann
06-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks Sandy and Morkel, no extra room on this one but I have some other poses with more space but not showing the lovely bronzing. I tried some fill flash but didn't like the pose as much. I may post a different one later.

50mm, I know but what can I say? These Aussie birds are friendly!! :D

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi Hilary

Yes perhaps a little tight overall in frame, but I think this is one of your best images to date. Great detail, lovely plumage and the detail and colour has been handled extremely well. Good processing too.

Re flash, a little fill-in might have helped, but no real deal for me. Like it. :)

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
06-21-2010, 05:39 AM
Thank you Steve, funny how our back yard sometimes delivers.

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Hilary, I love how you got the iridesence showing on the wings, good job on that. A bit tight in the frame, I suppose your best bet would have been to physically back up, especially if this guy stayed put on the perch for a while:). Moving a bit right, too, would have benifitted you with better light angle and thus less harsh shadows. Lovely colours colours throughout, and sharp as posted.

You nicely took advantage of a nice opportunity that was present to you.:cool:

Harshad Barve
06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Excellent image Hilary and great advise above
TFS

Fabs Forns
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm glad you got your feet wet in Avian, hope you will continue :)
Great advise given above, I like how the strong side light brought out the colors in the bird. TFS.

Stu Bowie
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Hilary, we all wish for more lens, and you have too much at 50mm:) Good over the shoulder pose, and the side light has brought out the colours perfectly. An opportunity well used.

Doug Brown
06-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Avian Hilary! I like the eye contact and the fantastic feather color and detail. It must be nice to be tight in the frame at 50mm! Agree with the good advice above.

Hilary Hann
06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you everyone for looking at my image and helping with suggestions. All gratefully received. I'll have to work hard to get other images to post in avian. :)

Steve Canuel
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Well worth the wait. Excellent detail and color. I really like the shimmer off those colorful feathers.

Hilary Hann
06-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Steve.