PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Iris Wildflowers

Chris Hansen
06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Greetings,
It has been awhile since I have posted. Here is an image of some wild iris flowers on a ridgetop near my house.

Canon Rebel XT ( My 50D is in for repairs) with a Tokina 19-35 @ 19mm.
Camera set on ISO 400, Aperture Priority F11 @ 1/50th of a sec. Conditions heavy fog with sun streaming through.

All C&C appreciated,

God bless,

chris

Allen Sparks
06-21-2010, 04:37 AM
I like the light shafting through the trees in the background with the flowers on the forest floor providing key interest. Well composed.

Tim Munsey
06-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Like the concept, the foreground is to bright to my eye.

Tim

Kaushik Balakumar
06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Love the perspective - very different. The wide angle showing the environment along with those rays of light is simply amazing.

Jerry van Dijk
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Very nice Chris. Unusual composition which immediately grabs attention, not in the least due to that amazing BG! I do feel that there is a bit too much contrast between BG and FG (or maybe it's just the difference in saturation of the colors).

Julie Kenward
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I am so glad you found your way back here, Chris! What a beautiful image! I love the "God beams" in the BG but it does look a bit washed out considering how vivid the FG is. I do like it as is - I also wonder what it would be like if you took the FG colors down just a notch or did some burning on the trees in the BG. Either way, I love the composition and the perspective - nice to see an environmental image for a change.

Thomas Herou
06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Superb picture of the Lily's habitad and a great composition.
I get the feeling of two divided pictures though-the BG and the FG.
But it's a different approach and very nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Chris,
Nice to see you back! OK.....I have studied this for a while.....I think the concept is great but a few things have me scratching my head.....give the f-stop.....I would expect more in focus....I mention this because the 2 trunks on the right are soft....while the trees more distant on the left appear sharper. The FG also appears a bit over sharpened.......so my question is.....where is the focus point? Fog has a way of messing with the AF....hence my question.

Chris Hansen
06-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Roman,
I manually focused on the flowers. There were a few drops of water on the lens. Though that should have left areas that were out of focus. Hmmnn..

Chris Hansen
06-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Roman,

Forgot to add that this was the lens that went swimming in the lake awhile back. i never have tested it for sharpness after I dried it out. Looks like it might be something I need to do!

gid bless,

chris

Anita Bower
06-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I like the dramatic feel of this image, and the inclusion of the habitat. Others have made good points which I don't want to repeat. I'm wondering what it would look like as a vertical, with the division between foregroung and BG not being in the middle. Thanks for sharing.