PDA

View Full Version : Best "Buds"

Jackie Schuknecht
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Well I tried doing some macro w/o the tripod and found it hard to get an in focus shot. (pretty windy though today)
So I came up with this.
40d/ 100mm/ @ 2.8
Twin lite @-3
ISO 1000
AV/ Eval/ -1/3
Cropped from vertical, to smaller
Would it have been better to get the frontmost bud in focus? Was going for a smooth BG.
Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Julie Kenward
06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Jackie, I usually do prefer that front bud in focus. If there are three buds, then I think it's cool to get the center one or the center and the front with the back trailing off. In this case, if the buds were more separated then I think you could get away with the back bud being the center of focus. Here it feels a little bit "off" to me. Nice BG though and good composition/crop.

Harshad Barve
06-20-2010, 08:54 PM
this works for me Jackie , loved the dark green BG and bud is really popping up on it
TFS

Paul Lagasi
06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I think the image looks very nice, nice backgound and the hint of color in the front bud is cool.....more DOF would have helped but then backgound might not have been so nice

Allen Sparks
06-21-2010, 04:40 AM
I would have liked the front bud in focus as I OOF objects in the foreground usually distract me. Still this is a nice image with a clean BG and nice subject placement.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the comments. Will have to practice my handholding some more.

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey Jackie,
Ok.....many questions!!! While I agree on the focus point....I am more interested in 1 other spec. What was the SS? I think most people can safely HH at 1/160 sec. ......but this involves many things. What was the ambient light like?....judging by the image.....it appears flashed....so looking at the other specs.....it must have been quite dark given the ISO and the -3 of the flash! When using the flash on an bright overcast (not dark.....b4 sunrise or after sunset) day.....dialing in negative compensation is fine......but I try to get as much ambient light in as I can. This gives a nice look w/o looking flashed. Reflectors also help. Let me know the SS and light condition so that I can give you a bit more info!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment Roman. I don't really know anything about flash. I guess I forgot to put in the SS which was 1/400 s. I was trying to achieve focus on the front bud, but must have moved when I pressed the shutter. It was dark overcast (almost raining) shot in the shade. Probably around 7pm. I thought putting in -3 would not make it have looked flashed. What settings would you recommend for the flash. I also angled the lites in at about 45 degree angles.