PDA

View Full Version : Violet-Green Swallow Female

Susan Griffith
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
At least I think this is the female of the pair that is nesting in our eves. I took the advice from the previous vgs photograph and increased the iso which in turn increased the shutter speed. Hoping that this is an improvement. This was shot from out bedroom window and the bird is sitting on the power lines going into our home.

On anther note.. i am working on getting some photos of the Belted King Fisher that hunts the creek in the back yard, the nesting song sparrows, golf finches etc that are around are area.

Canon 5Dm2
Canon 500mm F4 (Focal length 700mm)
Canon 1.4x
Metering Mode Evaluative, Auto White Balance
Shot in manual mode
ISO 1600
1/800
F5.6
Distance to the subject is ~20ft
Some minor sharpening and level adjustments, minor luminance noise reduction.

Meesh Fink
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
He's a beauty, good capture of the iridescent plumage. There is a nice catch light in his eye, the scene looks relaxed and peaceful. I think the green makes it look all the more peaceful.

It would be nice to catch him on a natural perch, rather than on the wires.

Desmond Chan
06-20-2010, 01:11 PM
As presented, color, exposure and details look fine. I think you could use more room on the left though...the tail is a bit too close to the frame in my opinion.

Bill Dix
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Lovely bird, and very nicely captured. We don't have these swallows out east. Good head angle, color, exposure. Would have wished, of course, for a more natural perch, and some room to the left. Good luck with the kingfishers. They are one of my banes.

Joe Brown
06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Very well taken shot. As mentioned by the previous posters I would prefer more space to the left and a more natural perch.
I appreciate how difficult it is to get a good sharp image of swallows. They don't sit still very long. I've never seen this species.

Joe

Alfred Forns
06-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Just he room on the left Susan !!! Excellent IQ with the high ISO only way to go !! Good luck with the kingfisher ... btw great yard :)

Dave Mills
06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Susan, agree with others regarding the placement so close to the left edge. This appears sharper than the previous post and IMO a better angle. I would have also preferred a natural perch and might give the image a bit of contrast boost while not losing detail...

Lance Peters
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi Susan - agree with the above comments - doing well.
Techs look solid.
Keep em coming :)