PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Nuthatch (Sitta villosa)

Asif Khan
06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Here's a shot of not so common Chinese nuthatch. It was around afternoon in cloudy weather, I didnt carry my flash and hence had to jack up ISO to 1000. Did noise reduction using noiseware and lost some sharpness. Appreciate feedback.

Camera: Nikon D3S
Lens: 600mm f4/G
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Time: 1/2000
Aperture: f/4
ISO: 1000
Gitzo Tripod with WH200

Colin Knight
06-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I do like the pose, perch and background! Looks like a bit more sharpening would help out. ISO 1000 isn't "jacked up" at all with the D3S. :)

Asif Khan
06-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Colin...i will sharpen a bit further ..and you are right on ISO...it isn't jacked up for the D3S.. :) !

Stu Bowie
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Asif, at that angle the little guy must be holding on very well. When you say you ran NR, did you run it over the whole image? If so, it would be better to select the bird and only do the BG. The focus point also looks towards the tip of the wing and tail area. I could be wrong.

Fabs Forns
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I,m liking the hanging pose very much. looking at this on the iPad, so I can,t rely judge the focus point fairly. A little more sharpening wouldn't,t hurt.

Asif Khan
06-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Asif, at that angle the little guy must be holding on very well. When you say you ran NR, did you run it over the whole image? If so, it would be better to select the bird and only do the BG. The focus point also looks towards the tip of the wing and tail area. I could be wrong.

Thank you Stuart for your feedback. Indeed, this little guy was walking vertical down...i have seen them walking up..but was interesting to see this one climbing right down vertically. I did NR on the whole image, will do a selective and repost with some sharpening. I was trying to keep focus on the eye - I checked my raw image and it is pretty sharp, it is the NR that softened the whole thing. I will have to redo the editing. Cheers.

Asif Khan
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I,m liking the hanging pose very much. looking at this on the iPad, so I can,t rely judge the focus point fairly. A little more sharpening wouldn't,t hurt.

Thank you Fabs...I wonder how cool it would be browse this website through an iPad...I look forward to have one in near future :) ! And yes, I will sharpen it further. btw: I looked at your website and you have a pretty nice collection. Thank you for taking time to feedback on my pic. Cheers.