PDA

View Full Version : Another Baby Tern

Nick Palmieri
06-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Was also at Nickerson yesterday and got a lot of nice stuff. I wanted to add to the series of several day old babies. This guy was eating a shrimp given to him by one of his parents, it took a good ten minutes for him to get it down. He was walking around working on swallowing the shrimp and I got him in a relatively clean area. I cropped a bit off the bottom and one of his siblings from the right side. 600mm, ISO 640, f/7.1, SS 1250

Ofer Levy
06-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Very pleasing image. Looks sharp and nice light. Would crop a bit more.

Joe Senzatimore
06-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Nice behavior captured. Amazing how these tiny chicks can swllow such a huge meal. Tough to get clean shots here and you did well on this one. Wish the shadow wasn't there , but I 'm sure you do as well. It is what it is. Better to take what is given than risk the life of the chick for a "perfect" shot.

bob arkow
06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Nick:

Nice capture on this chick. Agree with Joe about not moving around too much as the moms are very skittish and will move from the nest if disturbed. They are fun to watch and to photograph.

Bob

Axel Hildebrandt
06-20-2010, 09:31 AM
They look so fragile at this stage. I like the light and captured moment and if it were mine, I would remove the shadow behind the bird's head and tone down the highlights a bit.

Craig Brelsford
06-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Well done, Nick; I'd be proud to call this shot mine. The green shrimp and tired look on the chick's face tell the story. Did you think of moving to a position where the sun would have been directly behind you? Also, couldn't your angle be a tad lower?

denise ippolito
06-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Nick, Really cute little one. I like the shrimp hanging from it's mouth. Exposure and sharpness look good. I do wish that the back shadow from the sibling weren't there-but it is still a lovely image and one I would love to have. Congrats!

Michael Zajac
06-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Nick, I like the chick and the shrimp. Not fond of the back shadow either but you did well isolating the chick. Nice sharpness and exposure. I would tone down the bright whites in the chest a bit. Congrats.