PDA

View Full Version : Horsetail Falls, Yosemite

Bill Bryant
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
This shot is only possible about 10 days a year and only if the conditions are perfect. There is no creek feeding the falls, just snow run-off. So there has to be (1) Adequate snow or a recent rain, (2) Not too cold as to freeze the water, (3) Be in the last 10-14 days of February when the angle of the setting sun backlights the falls, and (4) No cloud cover to block the light.

This opportunity was first discovered by the late great Galen Rowell.

Bill Bryant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryant99/

Bret Edge
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
This is such a cool phenomenon and one I hope to see in person some time. I love the color and contrast of the falls against the rock. The FG trees don't add anything but you may not have been able to position yourself in such a way as to avoid them.

Bill Bryant
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks Bret. While the FG trees don't add much to the main portion of the photo, I wanted to include them to give a sense of the size of the falls (2,000ft). Anyone not familiar with Yosemite might quickly dismiss the pine trees at the top as being brush. In any case, your also right that it would be difficult to exclude them from this angle anyways.

Michael Pancier
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
perfect timing. must be amazing in person.

Roman Kurywczak
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey Bill,
I do go there and know the short window that you have for this. Don't know if you'l get another shot but you may want to try Singh Ray's Strip ND filter. By placing it on Horestail Falls you would knock it down 3 stops, thus giving you more FG light............. because I like the composition as is,
Roman
PS You can also ask Michael how he does the pseudo HDR and try it.

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Bill,

I remember an image by Galen of this. Most beautiful. Roman has a good suggestion on the pseudo HDR.

Michael, Do you remember where you posted it?

Rich Ikerd
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Beautiful image Bill. I've only read about this lighting - would definitely be a pleasure to see it in person. But until then, photos like yours do a wonderful job of capturing the scene.

Bob Ettinger
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Love the image and I have read of the limited time it is lighted this way. Someday I would like to see it in person