PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Dragonflies

Allen Sparks
06-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Canon 40D, Canon 300mm f/4 plus Tamron 1.4x SP Pro teleconverter
ISO 400, f14, I/320s, monopod

Ken has noted that I seem to like this species of dragonfly (Halloween Pennants) and he must be right because here is another shot of them...this time 2 for 1. I was not sure how to crop this image. Any comments appreciated.

Ken Childs
06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL! You must be the More Halloween Pennant whisperer!

Another nice one, Allen! Great DOF on this one. I think tighter is the way to go with the crop. I also used SH and a slight contrast boost.

Julie Kenward
06-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Yes, I think Ken nailed it. It's tough when you have a vertical perch but horizontal action like this - makes the crop a real challenge! Fantastic choice on the aperture here, Allen. You got it exactly right IMO. Fabulous from front to back.

Is the fact that one is redder in color a male/female thing?

Allen Sparks
06-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Ken and Julie - I appreciate the suggestions. I'll have to see if I can crop the full size photo that tight without pixelating the image.

Julie, the male is the red one and the female the amber one.

sandy richards
06-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Um, yes, people - it's a male/female thing. These 2 are mating! :D
Very nice image, Allen - and Ken's suggested and contrast boost crop works well.

Paul Lagasi
06-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice image Allen, I can see why you like these the colors and patterns are lovely, sharp...well done

Roman Kurywczak
06-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey Allen,
Late to the party.....very nicely done with the mating action. great details throughout too! I would go with Kens PP'ing tweaks on the DF and even the bottom crop but I would clone/patch blur the off color above and add some canvas to the right. In the repost I used Ken's repost and added the canvas....then doing the suggestions mentioned. Let me know what you think.

Thomas Herou
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Superb IQ and perfect after Ken's crop.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Wonderful shot and I like the lightening. Don't mind the original crop, but might make the green at the top, blue.

Fabs Forns
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Another vote for the OP without the green. Excellent action and pretty good DOF. TFS.

Allen Sparks
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to take all these comments in before deciding what my final version will be. Taking out the green top will definitely be one -- btw, the blue is a pond and the green is the far grassy shore.

Roman, I like your repost - thanks for reworking the image - I have the space in the original so adding more canvas won't be a problem...I like all the posts including my original so will have fun playing with this one.

Anita Bower
06-23-2010, 04:25 AM
Wonderful image of these beautiful creatures. Nothing to add.