PDA

View Full Version : Food is in the center

kostas nianiopoulos
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2402/melisewgega.jpg

crop , levels , health tool , clone , topaz denoise .

canon 50d , 1/80 f13, iso 1000 , EF USM IS 100mm macro .

thanks for watching .

Cheryl Flory
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
great angle/perspective. if you brighten the whites in the center of the blossom and on the bee, would that give it more "pop"/contrast? would it help draw your eye to the center?

Allen Sparks
06-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I really like the composition with the head on view of the bee and the whole flower in the frame.

Giving the low light and having to go to ISO 1000 @1/80s (hand held?), I would have likely used full flash on this shot in manual mode. I think I detect some motion blur of the bee but it is hard to tell with a post of this small size. Posting larger would help with critiquing.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Simple and neat composition. Might sharpen the bee selectively a bit more and if possible clone out the small bright circle (probably a bud tip?) at the bottom-centre of the frame .

Ken Childs
06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Kostas, I like the comp and subject but the whole thing looks too dark to me. Try lightening it up with SH or maybe a curves adjustment layer. Also, the 2 areas with sunlight are pretty distracting. I'd clone away the one spot near the bottom and then lightly clone over the bright petals on the right side.

It's a good image and with a few tweaks it could be even better.

Roman Kurywczak
06-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Hey Kostas,
Very good advice given above and I think Ken's is right on track. You have to be careful with brighter areas/mixed light in macro as it impact the image greatly. As Ken and the others have stated, the comp is well handled but pulling up the 50D's pop up flash and adding a bit of fill light would have helped bring out some of those center details. If you had help, even using a reflector to bring in more light would have helped....but that becomed more difficult with bees! Just some things for you to think about next time out. Implementing some of the suggestions given above will take this up another notch.

Fabs Forns
06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Very lively image, and I like the symmetry of the presentation. Another vote for lightening the bug. I like your macro work, Kostas.

kostas nianiopoulos
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
thank u so much all for the feedback :)