PDA

View Full Version : Contrasting Colors

Fabs Forns
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Contrasting or complimentary colors (same) refers to the colors opposite one another in the Hue wheel, like Blue-Yellow, Green-Magenta and Cyan-Red. Whenever they are used together in an image, they bring out high impact, boldness, high color contrast. Colors that are adjacent to each other are known as analogous colors and they provide harmony to a pictures, and a sense of calmness.
It's good to make use of these properties to express the mood you want in your images.
Here's a link to a Hue wheel:

https://moodymiddle.wikispaces.com/file/view/color-wheel.gif/31875977/color-wheel.gif

This is also useful when we want to correct a color cast, adding the opposite color will generally work.

I should note that in the pre-computer days and for art, the primary colors were red, yellow and blue :)

Alfred Forns
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Not as good looking bird as I posted above but not bad :D

Excellent comments regarding colors and the color wheel !!

Dave Leroy
06-08-2010, 07:00 PM
good looking photo Fabs.
I was checking out a similar posting you made in Educational Lots of good info.

I really like the nice sharp eye on this one.

Don Railton
06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Fabs

yes, love that eye, it draws you in. Thanks for the color lesson, its one of those things you feel that make more sense when its put into words...

DON

Lance Peters
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Cool bird Fabs - and great info - Love the pose and colours look really good.
TFS

Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
06-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Superb shot. Thanks for sharing.

Troy Lim
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Vibrant colors, great feather details, and the look.
Very nice.

Oscar Zangroniz
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Love these blue and gold Macaws. Beautiful colors and lots of details Fabs

Dave Mills
06-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi Fabs, read your talk on the color wheel and found it very interesting. I also like the example you chose.
Strong comp that forces my eye to rest on the parrot's eye. All other techs well handled...