PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Sapphire Funhouse - Sheridan Glacier, Alaska

Dave Taylor
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone-
This is an image I created while leading a photo tour to the Cordova area, in Alaska this past week. We had an excellent time (despite a few drizzly days) and everyone got a lot of great photos.
This is inside the Sheridan Glacier. NOTE: glaciers (and especially glacial caves) are very dangerous locations. I recommend traveling on one with an experienced guide.
We had just approached the glacier's terminus and started walking along the flat areas near the meltwater lake, and I happened to glance down a shallow ramp to what looked to be an opening in the ice. Once I reached the bottom of the ramp, I realized that not 1 but 2 caves ran in opposite directions from the pit. The one to the right was not as tall but was very dark and looked ominous - I never did explore that one. The one to the left was fairly bright, there was "only" 6+ feet of ice for a ceiling. The ice was absolutely clear except for random black rock fragments and a crust of rotten (pitted and opaque) ice on the top of the glacier. I scouted the cave out before bringing my tripod and 5D mk 2 in, making sure the footing was adequate (it was solid, if a little slick in places) and that there was no evidence of recent ice falls or hidden crevasses. I warned my clients of the inherent danger of entering a glacial cave, and "laid down the law". 1 person in at a time. 1 person just outside the entrance at all times. 5 minutes or less per trip in. Any sign of imminent collapse, fall or otherwise and I pull the plug - 5 minutes ago. Everyone agreed and we went for it. Each of us made at least 2 trips in, I went a 3rd but didn't feel comfortable staying in for more than 3-4 minutes at a time. You just never know...
Canon 5D mk 2 on a tripod
24-105 @ 24mm
1/3" @ f16
ISO 400
2" timer used with LiveView for composing low to the ground. I had a polarizer on at the time I entered but always turned it so it had no effect, I liked the sections of mirrored surface, the polarizer made the image appear too 1 dimensional. Plus the added gloss on the ice was something I wanted to capture.
Comments and critiques always welcome. I hope you enjoy it, I know it was one of those "moments" I will always remember - joining those memories of being 18" and face to face with an 800 pound brown bear on the Katmai Coast, having a mom and 2 twin baby moose walk past me just 50 feet away in the soft light of twilight (also from this Cordova trip!), and a few of the sunset/rises I've been privileged to witness and photography here in Alaska.
If you'd like to see more images from the trip, they are displayed on my website.

http://sixtyonenorth.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/20100614_Cordova_1172.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey Dave,
Very coold glow to the inside of the cave and ice. I have been in a few of them personally...and yeah....it is creepy! You have captured a beautiful pattern and flow as well as some really nice illumination. This is not easy for many reasons.....never mind the dangers. Glad to see everything turned out OK and the light and colors are just fantastic!

Dave Mills
06-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Dave, I like your choice of composition and the soft blue coloration. Good techs with a well handled exposure.
Nicely done!

Fabs Forns
06-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Very nice ice formation with great colors, very spooky mood to the image, Dave, thanks for sharing it!

Harshad Barve
06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Excellent image , lovely mood here and awesome ice formation
TFS

Kobus Tollig
06-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Well handeld and great abstract. Well done on this. Hope to see lots more from you