PDA

View Full Version : Four Spot Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata

Jonathan Ashton
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro & polariser Tripod, ISO 400 1/250 sec f11

All comments welcome.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Excellent details and textures on the body. Liked the way the light has illuminated the fine hair on the abdomen.

Paul Lagasi
06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Jonathan, this is lovely photo..DOF on body and wings, bang on, wish the head was a bit more in focus..just for your info, your ID is bang on (latin) but this is a Skimmer not a Chaser, <---disregard this (thanks Ken for clearing that up didn't know about UK dragonflies being called chasers...lolol...)

Julie Kenward
06-19-2010, 08:20 AM
I also love the light on the little hairs of his abdomen - not something we normally see! I do wish more of the face were visible but I think you caught an excellent photo of the wingspan and df on the whole. If this were mine, I'd consider cloning out the top of the perch which looks like something coming out of the df's mouth.

Ken Childs
06-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Love the detail you've captured, Jon. If at all possible when taking a shot from behind, try to get a higher angle so you're looking down on the dfly. I'm guessing you already know that and didn't have a real choice of angle. :)

your ID is bang on (latin) but this is a Skimmer not a Chaser
Different continent, different name. They're known as Chasers in Europe.

Jonathan Ashton
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, hope to send another shot slightly better angle(Ken) and different background. Originally I did clone the patch Jules but I wasn't happy with the end result so I decided to post this one.

Allen Sparks
06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice sharpness, DOF, and BG... This is a fat sucker. My thoughts have already been mentioned: angle of the shot and cloning out the top of the perch.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey Jonathan,
BG is killer!!!....but not a huge fan of the angle......I agree with Ken on the angle choice....so good luck on the future attempts!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Great sharpness, and I agree with the comments already made. Might add a bit more to the bottom if you have any.

sandy richards
06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Really nice colors and detail here, especially of the lacy wings.
I'd personally prefer a bit more room on the bottom.
Would not be too hard to clone int, if needed.