PDA

View Full Version : Suricate

Vincent Grafhorst
03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Meerkat (suricata suricatta) peeping out of its burrow. This image was made in the Makgadikgadi Pans in Botswana, near a place called Jack's camp. Here a group of meerkats is relatively used to people (tourists) and do not see them as a threat. On the contrary they realise that when the people are around, the birds of prey and the jackals and other predators do not bother them! These creatures are great fun to hang around with and I could have spend weeks out there...:)

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 320
Lens EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 85.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
Flash Exposure Compensation -1
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Vincent,

I like the composition on this one a lot. It makes me feel like I am there looking through the lens and he is peeking out of the borrow at me. I think more or less of the environment around him would have lessened that intimacy. You did well with the high contrast light.

peter delaney
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Vincent

I...havent done Botswana justice yet....hopefully get there this year sometime....

love the image..light totally against you...might just crop on the right to exclude the rock on bottom right. The image is just a tad overexposed..i am surprised @ f8 ..the face is not more in focus,,eyes are sharp so thats what really matters....

looking forward to more of your work:)

D. Robert Franz
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
You handled the tough light well here. The head of the suricat is positioned nicely on a PP.. The dead space on the right of the frame really doesn't add to the image but is great for editorial purposes and I likely would have done the same. A tighter vertcal crop might work well also. Well done...

Ed Cordes
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Those eyes are great. The room on the right is a bit too much, but if it helps sell the image leave it there.

Ron Day
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Excellent composition, with the head off center, in this cute meerkat portrait. The light is a little harsh, but the exposure is right on the money.