PDA

View Full Version : Rudbeckia Bud

Anita Bower
06-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm glad to be back. Have been busy attending a photo conference, preparing for a show of 14 of my images in a local coffee shop, and having my son home from college. I'm starting to catch up.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, 1/400, f3.8, ISO 200, manual focus, manual exposure, tripod. Taken outdoors in my garden, evening, some backlighting by western sky. PP in PS7--basic adjustments.

Is the color to the right too strong and distracting?

Julie Kenward
06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Although I love the abstract shapes represented here I do think, for me, the coral color is a bit of an attention grabber. I find myself following the "wave" out of the frame instead of looking at the flower. I think others will really like it, though so let's see...

Anita Bower
06-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Although I love the abstract shapes represented here I do think, for me, the coral color is a bit of an attention grabber. I find myself following the "wave" out of the frame instead of looking at the flower. I think others will really like it, though so let's see...
Thanks, Jules. Don't know what to do about the color.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Liked the comp in this image - simple & elegant. The wavy patterns in the BG is also interesting. I might however desaturate the greens in the BG (more so in the lower-right half) so that it does'nt draw too much attention.
The petals of the bud look beautiful spiraling and folded.

Allen Sparks
06-19-2010, 05:54 AM
I agree with Kaushik on this one. I like the BG as is except the green could be toned down some so as not to compete with the subject. Love the detail and textures of the bud.

Anita Bower
06-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Allen andKaushik: Thanks for the suggestion to desaturate green in LRC Have done so, and it looks better.

Cheryl Flory
06-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Anita, if you darken/deepen the bud, or at least the neutrals, to give it more "weight", would that help keep the focus there?

Ken Childs
06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Anita, I love the subject but do think the orange on the right is distracting. I tried selecting that area and then did a selective layer color adjustment and worked on the reds to make them less bright and more earthy looking. Maybe because I was working on a compressed file, it left it looking somewhat banded but some box blur took care of that. I thought the results looked pretty good. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Anita Bower
06-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Cheryl: What an interesting suggestion. I experimented with your idea. I think what I ended up doing was lightening the bg, which had the effect of making the bud look darker. I think the flower stands out more. What do you think? Thanks ever so much.

Anita Bower
06-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Ken: I tried your suggestion on version 2. I think it improves the image. Thanks!

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Anita,
Looks like your schedule is rivaling mine! Big congrats on the print exhibit! I like the final repost best.....final micro manage tweak....clone/patch the 2 bright spots on the LR leaves. Finishing touch on an excellent comp!

Anita Bower
06-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks, Roman. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions, including the micro-managing ones. :)