PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Comet

Mark Fuge
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
This is an image of Hale-Bopp comet on its pass thru the skies.

Modification in CS4 included; Extrude, multiple applications at varying settings; Highlight & Shadow and Vibrance & Saturation adjustments.

Enjoy!

sandy richards
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Mark - beautiful!
Love the colors , comp, and border.

Sandy

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Interesting effects. A bit too saturated for me and I would like to see the comet somewhere out of the center of the image.

Mark Fuge
06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Artie, I moved the comet around to try to get different effects, but this was the only one I liked. The others were too flat for me. I couldn't get the ROT to work here.;)

Here is the original for those who don't see it in the above. It is a scan of a slide, so quality isn't perfect. But it works for this.

denise ippolito
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Mark, I like the look that the extrude filter added. I am not a fan of the center crisscross lines. I also might clean up the one spattered spot on the left of frame. Nice looking abstract!:) I think one of your best.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks Mark for posting the ORIG. Pointing your lens right and up would have placed the head of the comet somewhere in the lower left part of the frame and still given some of the dark blue.

Indranil Sircar
06-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Nice effect, Mark. Agree on the need to get it off center.

Paul Lagasi
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Now that I see the original, I can really understand the extruded version, nice subject and effect Mark..like this one

Kerry Perkins
06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
This is pretty striking Mark. I like the motion and contrast of color and white. I agree that it feels too centered, especially with the horizontal and vertical center lines. I'm finding that those can be difficult to deal with when using the extrude filter.

Cheryl Slechta
06-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Mark, I like it as presented. I love the colors and the framing and the horizontal and vertical center lines remind me of tilework.:)

Mark Fuge
06-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

While the original was shot to get the image, rather than for artistic purity, I found cropping the image for the extrude effect to not give a desirable pattern. I liked this as the explosion was more intense and the sky area remained prominent. However, understand your comments as that is my normal mode. It just was not my vision for this image.

Patti Edens
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Mark, I can't decide which I like best, the original or the extruded creation. I like them both for different reasons. The extruded version I like more for the explosive, dynamic feeling. But I love the original with the curly trail inside the comet's tail and the wonderful dark blue color and the stars. That is just an awesome image of something I sure don't get to see.