PDA

View Full Version : Even an Old Dog Can Hunt....

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I write often that I am not very good at capturing image of birds in flight and in action. In a recent post somebody commented in a rather crude manner that I was full of it. I am not. In addition to slowing reflexes I often get very nervous when I see a great bird flying towards me. When this endangered drake Spectacled Eider began running across the water to lift off I remember taking a deep breath and concentrating. I made only two frame while Brian and EJ each made many more. But I was thrilled with this one.

This image was created in Barrow, AK with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS 1D MIV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stops off the bird in the water: 1/500 sec. at f/11 set manually. (Just before they took flight I had been attempting to get some d-o-f while photographing the pair.)

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: This is a very small crop from the rear and from above.

subhrashis
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow! Strange looking bird, (I see why it is named!) like the green in the neck!
Composition conveys the movement nicely, face is sharp and that makes the image, but body could have been sharper if ss was higher. This is really a problem with no solution,and i think all would agree, if you are set up for something and a different opportunity crops up very fast! Then it's a test of how fast one can think and act!

Here's hoping it's a learnable skill, (If it was inborn, i'd be better off taking up painting!) :)

Stu Bowie
06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
What amazing features on the head - I dont think I have ever seen this species. Well you have captured a good flying posture, and sharp where it counts. ( they say, if you come away with at least one winner/keeper, your trip was worthwhile. Hopefully this was your shot ) Well captured.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks. Even had I been in Av mode there would not have been enough time to dial in the wide open aperture. In manual mode there was even less chance. Here's a good rule: when unexpected action occurs do not attempt to think or change anything. If you do, you will wind up with nothing 99% of the time. I believe that I wrote that in the original Art of Bird Photography.

What are you hoping is a learn-able skill?

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
What amazing features on the head - I dont think I have ever seen this species. Well you have captured a good flying posture, and sharp where it counts. ( they say, if you come away with at least one winner/keeper, your trip was worthwhile. Hopefully this was your shot ) Well captured.

Thanks Stuart. I have more than a few good ones :) I too love the green on the head. If the image were made in brighter conditions the green looks black. Though it is hard to see in the JPEG, the bird has a blue iris that can be seen distinctively in the TIFF.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it looks pretty good considering the low shutter speed but find the bird a bit low in the frame.

For surprise moments, I have one button programmed to go to manual mode at a high shutter speed.

Ilija Dukovski
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
This is probably the best flight shot of this species taken so far.
Great image of this incredible species.

subhrashis
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
What are you hoping is a learn-able skill?

Thinking fast!
Oh well, and also taking flight shots... but more on the thinking fast part!

subhrashis
06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
For surprise moments, I have one button programmed to go to manual mode at a high shutter speed.

This is interesting! Have to try if this is possible...!

Harshad Barve
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
One amazing bird Guruji , Tack sharp where it counts and excellent BG
TFS

Dumay de Boulle
06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting looking bird. The head is nice and sharp and I like the wing blur.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Artie, flight photography with that much focal length has to be tough...this is excellent. like the combination of sharp head and wing blur.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I think it looks pretty good considering the low shutter speed but find the bird a bit low in the frame. For surprise moments, I have one button programmed to go to manual mode at a high shutter speed.

What button? What exposure? As for the position in the frame, I was simply trying to keep the sensor on the black and white of the neck but failed as the sensor was on the black lower breast just forward of the near wing.

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Beutiful shot. I like the wing blur to add the feeling of movement. Glad to hear the masters also get nervous when presented with a unique shot or opportunity.

Rachel

Sid Garige
06-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Considering the focal length I would say this is an exceptional BIF image. I am a big fan of wing blurs and like the effect. Exceptional eye contact and details on the head. Great job Artie.

I should put Barrow on my list for next year.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
What button? What exposure?

I use the * button and press it with my thumb if a bird flies by. Pressing it sets it to manual at 1/1600s and f/8 and it also attempts to focus. It keeps the ISO that I have chosen beforehand. Works well for me.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I use the * button and press it with my thumb if a bird flies by. Pressing it sets it to manual at 1/1600s and f/8 and it also attempts to focus. It keeps the ISO that I have chosen beforehand. Works well for me.

Thanks. How do you assign that function to the star button:confused:?

Axel Hildebrandt
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks. How do you assign that function to the star button:confused:?

You can switch AF On and * button in the settings. It depends on how you hold your camera, maybe the AF On button works better for you anyway.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks Peter and Sid and Ilija. I agree completely :)

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
You can switch AF On and * button in the settings. It depends on how you hold your camera, maybe the AF On button works better for you anyway.

Thanks Axel. I do the button switch. What I am understanding is how to switch the function of the button so that it sets a given exposure....

subhrashis
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I had thought of setting a high shutter speed in shutter priority mode... then shifting to aperture priority...
If a BIF opportunity arises.. i just shift the dial to shutter priority...

But i am just learning BIFs at the moment... so not really qualified to say if this will work. Will it?

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I had thought of setting a high shutter speed in shutter priority mode... then shifting to aperture priority...
If a BIF opportunity arises.. i just shift the dial to shutter priority...

But i am just learning BIFs at the moment... so not really qualified to say if this will work. Will it?

It will get you a faster shutter speed but in most situations, you will miss the shot. See Peter Kes' comment above on flight--if it is a continuing opportunity it is easy to get everything right. If an endangered species hurtles right towards you unexpectedly you must go with what you've got. Otherwise, no chance.

subhrashis
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
It will get you a faster shutter speed but in most situations, you will miss the shot. See Peter Kes' comment above on flight--if it is a continuing opportunity it is easy to get everything right. If an endangered species hurtles right towards you unexpectedly you must go with what you've got. Otherwise, no chance.

Agreed... this is not for the current situation.

Can it work in the "shooting ground bird X , bird Y flies by overhead" scenario ?

Wont work at all times... gotta see if i can make it work "some" times.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I use this too, where * is AF, AF-ON is exposure and the release button is not activating AF. But did I understand you correctly that you can set/fix a particular shutter speed and f-stop ?

Yes, I think this was Artie's question, too, if I understand correctly. You can register it to use a specific shutter speed, mode and aperture (C.Fn I-14), ISO stays the same that you are using in AV or whatever mode you were using at the moment. In AV, I make sure to use an ISO that would work for the preset when pressing the * button.

Joe Senzatimore
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
When your good , your good.;););)

Ken Lassman
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I like the shot Artie. I agree that a higher shutter speed would have made the body and wings sharper. I happen to like some wing blur showing motion.....but for me, the impressive part of this image is the fact you nailed this with a 800mm lense and an attached TC in probably not the best lighting. Great capture of an incredible looking species

Michael Stern
06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Artie,

Yes you CAN! You just did! Wonderful image...:)
I would like to see a little more crop off the right side....

Best,
Mike

Troy Lim
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Very nice shot at 1/500SS. I would be happy if I could get a sharp picture at a surprise moment.
Axel's custom function is a great idea. Have to check into my Nikon ;)

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Agreed... this is not for the current situation.

Can it work in the "shooting ground bird X , bird Y flies by overhead" scenario ?

Wont work at all times... gotta see if i can make it work "some" times.

Can what work???

arash_hazeghi
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Did the best given the camera settings, head is just sharp enough, motion on the wing tips is nice too. I can see the blue iris.

Good suggestion by Axel, programming * button is the fast way to quickly set exposure for flight during action. Does not register ISO, but 400-800 works most of the time. I actually like the C1/C2/C3 on the main dial in the 5DII better in this regard, three banks and does register ISO as well as AF settings!!!

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes, I think this was Artie's question, too, if I understand correctly. You can register it to use a specific shutter speed, mode and aperture (C.Fn I-14), ISO stays the same that you are using in AV or whatever mode you were using at the moment. In AV, I make sure to use an ISO that would work for the preset when pressing the * button.

Thanks Axel, That's what I was looking for. I will check it out as I had no clue on that one.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Hello Arthur.

And thanks for sharing this wonderful image with us. I also believe that an old dog can hunt...

I believe that this is the first time I see this species being posted here. As mentioned above, the motion blur on the wings gives life to this image and agree about it being sharp where it has to be.

Just a question, did you use fill flash for this one? By the way, I am eagerly reading your flash-as-main-light and fill flash techniques from your book. Do you still believe that manual flash renders the best and more natural images?

Thanks for your input.

Ofer Levy
06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Looks pretty sharp for 1/500 !!

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Did the best given the camera settings, head is just sharp enough, motion on the wing tips is nice too. I can see the blue iris.

With all due respect, the head and eye are quite sharp :)

ps to Ofer: thanks! That's what I was saying at the same time

denise ippolito
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Artie, Beautiful eider and a wonderful flight shot. Sharp where it's needed- I guess you've still got it:)

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello Arthur. And thanks for sharing this wonderful image with us. I also believe that an old dog can hunt... I believe that this is the first time I see this species being posted here. As mentioned above, the motion blur on the wings gives life to this image and agree about it being sharp where it has to be.
Just a question, did you use fill flash for this one? By the way, I am eagerly reading your flash-as-main-light and fill flash techniques from your book. Do you still believe that manual flash renders the best and more natural images?
Thanks for your input.

Hi JC, YAW. I think that Lana Hays posted an image of a pair resting on a bank yesterday :) Thanks for your kind comments. I do believe that manual flash yields the most natural looking images but I am pretty sure that there is no practical reason for that. I shall ask EJ Peiker his opinion at dinner tonight and get back to you.

Jason G. Harrison
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I really like the image. In particular, I like the comp. With the bird low in the frame...it really denotes, at least to me, how low the bird is flying next to the water. At first glance I wanted less on top and more on bottom, but after looking for a bit...the low subject placment really stands out to me. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note: If anyone is aware if a Nikon body can have a button set up to function like described in this thread, I would love to know about it. I am reading through my manuals now...that is a trick I would love to be able to use!

Jason

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Good point Jason. In the frame before this one the tips of the last three bird's near primaries were actually in the water. Unfortunately I clipped two of those wingtips :o

Good luck with the Nikon question.

Also, as Arash noted briefly, the 7D offers lots of options with the C1, C2, and C3 options.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Artie, Beautiful eider and a wonderful flight shot. Sharp where it's needed- I guess you've still got it:)

Thanks. I am still working on getting it :)

Kiran Poonacha
06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Guru, wish I can acheive half the amount of the great work done by you in bird photography.. I take a Bow to you...

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Thank you Kiran-bhai for your more than kind words. Your new avatar is great and I continue to love your posted images.

arash_hazeghi
06-19-2010, 12:38 AM
With all due respect, the head and eye are quite sharp :)

Yes sir. sure it is :) blue iris would not visible if it was soft.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks Arash, I was just wondering why you wrote "head is just sharp enough" in your original comment :)

subhrashis
06-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Can what work???

Sorry i did not make myself clear,

i was referring to setting a ss of, say, 1/1000 in Tv, switch to Av for perching birds, if a bird flies by overhead, i switch dial back to Tv, and go for the flier.

This would, in most cases work like Axel's custom setting, only cruder. Can this be a workaround for low end bodies?

This is just paper and pen planning, have to see how it works out in the field.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
What camera body are you using?

Jay Gould
06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Artie, all of the appropriate comments have been made about your beautiful Spectacled Eider. How is you left hip? At "our" young ages injuries like that can take longer to heal. Hope you are better!

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks Jay. Actually, after only two days it is doing much better than I ever expected. I went out this morning and we got really close to a pair of Stellar's Eiders. It is a bit sore but fully functional. I have been icing it and doing ibuprofen. Thanks for the reminder: I am gonna go get some more ice now.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi JC, YAW. I think that Lana Hays posted an image of a pair resting on a bank yesterday :) Thanks for your kind comments. I do believe that manual flash yields the most natural looking images but I am pretty sure that there is no practical reason for that. I shall ask EJ Peiker his opinion at dinner tonight and get back to you.

Hello Arthur!
Just a question, were you able to ask EJ Peiker his opinion about manual flash? I'm curious as you can see. Thanks for your reply.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Yes. I remembered while we were standing in an icy river up to our waists waiting for the Stellar's Eiders to quit sleeping. He said that if the ambient exposure in the same and set manually, if the light is unchanged, and if the flash levels as determined by a flash meter are the same, then the images would be identical. That's what I figured he would say :( Worse yet, I know that he is right.

subhrashis
06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
What camera body are you using?

Nikon D5000.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks. What you were asking above just seems to be switching from one mode to another for various purposes.... So yes it would work but it is just standard operating procedure and it takes time. Some camera bodies may hold a previous setting in a given mode while others may not.... I do not know Nikon.

subhrashis
06-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks. What you were asking above just seems to be switching from one mode to another for various purposes.... So yes it would work but it is just standard operating procedure and it takes time. Some camera bodies may hold a previous setting in a given mode while others may not.... I do not know Nikon.

Thanks!

It seems mine is holding the setting, fortunate for me as the camera does not have "user settings" like 40D etc. I don't know whether there are any exceptions to holding the setting here under different circumstances.
For me, the exposure mode dial is on the right, and i can change it with camera at eye reaching out with forefinger and thumb...

Arthur Morris
06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Good luck with your flight photography!

subhrashis
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Good luck with your flight photography!

Thanks a ton!

I know i need all the luck and practice i can get just starting out! And, coming from you, this really means a lot to me, as it was your images that made me take up bird photography seriously as a passionate hobby!

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
great discussion, here's another question for ya... could you elaborate on when you'd like to use a full frame body, and when you like to use a 1.6 crop sensor body. I own a 7d, and think the 1.6 mag is good for birds, unless they are very close to me etc. Just was looking to understand the logic here. cheers"
don

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Don, I no longer own a full frame body (but I did love my 1Ds II; it was my main body for about two years). I own a 7D but do not use it a lot. I like it when it is sunny and the birds are close as it goes great with the 70-200 f/4L IS. I must admit that I like the feel and sound of a pro body...

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Thks Artie, i was curious, as i'm following the thread which is great! Seems like larger animals, etc, the full frame is perhaps better, as the 1.6 mag can quickly fill the frame and perhaps limit you on how close you start off at... where's birds for the most part the 1.6 to 1.3 crop sensor is a added benefit, especially for subjects that aren't in your face... Don

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 12:12 PM
It may seem like that and at times that's how it works out, but.... And then there is the question of simply cropping the images from cameras with full frame sensors and still winding up with more pixels...