PDA

View Full Version : Seagull in Chatham, MA

Andrew Weber
03-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Nikon D200; 18-200 VR f3.5-5.6 lens at f/11; 1/500; ISO 200

Axel Hildebrandt
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I like the idea and composition of this portrait. If the sun would have been behind you the head would be better lit. Alternatively, you could have used fill flash. The BG looks quite noisy (it looks as if you sharpened the BG) and you could level the horizon. Please see this thread how to do this: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6268

Judd Patterson
03-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Andrew, Axel has given you several really great suggestions. The concept and location both look great, but just a few more technical details could have really bumped this up a few notches (particularly fill flash if a better sun angle wasn't possible). Nice work!

Alfred Forns
03-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Andrew I like the selected crop and bg a lot !!! Not much to improve in that dept !!! Fully agree with previous suggestions Would try to experiment with fill flash In the Nikon system is a thing of beauty and easy to use !!!!

Jim Poor
03-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Real nice concept here. I played with it a little. I was on a touch-pad so the modifications are not as smooth as could be (bled over onto the bill a bit), but it gives an idea of a direction to go.

I selected the BG and did a light gaussian blur followed by some strong noise reduction. The NR filter wasn't helping much on it's own at first, thus the gaussian. Worked on the eye a little, but there isn't much to work with in the JPG. From the original it should be easier.

Gus Cobos
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Andrew,
Very nice composition and background, I like it.
Agree with Al on the fill flash.

Congrats...:D

Gus...:cool: