PDA

View Full Version : Basket Full Of Blues

Glenda Simmons
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
This is the reason I go to the disgusting extreme of raising mealworms to feed my Bluebirds! lol These four fledglings had fledged about a month earlier and were at the cutest stage to watch. They would follow Mom all over the yard, and beg to be fed, often mobbing her. At times, Mom would just seem exasperated by thier behavior. I see so much human type behavior while observing my bluebirds. This scene could be compared to Mom bringing a tray of kool-aid and cookies out to the kids as they played on a summer day. I was fortunate to have the entire first brood of four stick around well after Mom had hatchlings from her second brood, occasionaly seeing all four perched on backyard feeders, hunting for their supper. Then, their favorite human, Ms Glenda , :) would bring out some mealworms and the four juveniles would still join Mom at the "dinner table" I was surprised at how tolerant Mom, still was, allwing the older four to still eat the worms, while she had four more hungry mouths to feed back in the nesting box. But she generally would still be the patient and loving Mom, and let her kids eat, before she did. I, on the other hand, was fussing at them, telling them they needed to go help their Mom feed their siblings. But just as most of our teenagers, do, they didn't listen to a dang thing I said! lol

For another of my bluebird yard adventures, see the post of the "Grumpy Fledgling" in the Avian forum.

This picture was taken with my Canon Rebel, and 100-400mm lens at 210mm. f/6.3, ISO 400, +1/3

denise ippolito
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Glenda, When I saw the title I just knew it would be your beautiful Bluebirds! Lovely image-thanks for sharing.

Harold Davis
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM
too cute, glenda!! is that mom on the right?

Alfred Forns
06-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Love it Glenda Heading over to see the other You must look forward to this time of the year :)

Fabs Forns
06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
This would make a very nice notecard to lift someone's day :)

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
The basket is a lovely touch. What a treat to have so many together!

Julie Kenward
06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Every year I say I'm going to try to buy mealworms so I can get some bluebirds but I just can't quite pick that bag up! Disgusting! I don't know...seeing this image (and Danny's from last year) I might have to break down next year. So incredibly cute!

Glenda Simmons
06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks Julie, and everyone. I got alot more cute shots that day and the following day with them all on the "Lil Red Wagon", my favorite cute yard prop. Putting out mealworms is really not bad, and it certainly will increase your photography ops, but I'm raising them! That is very time consuming, and I think disgusting. lol I still ended up buying some earlier in the season, as well, beccause with six adults, as well as four growing juveniles and babies in the box at the same time, the parents were feeding....well, we're talking ALOT of worms here! lol

Danny J Brown
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Glenda - That is a sweet shot. It really looks awesome as well when I scroll up and take out the flying bird.....try that and see what you think. I haven't seen you here in awhile:( Judy Lynn, Jules, Fabs, Denise, Jackie and others have been doing a good job of filling the "sweetness void" while you were away but its nice to have you back.:)

DB