PDA

View Full Version : Spider kill

Vincent Grafhorst
03-04-2008, 12:49 AM
This is my first post in the BPN macro gallery. Macro photography is a field I want to develop myself in, so please shoot my images full of holes!:D

I witnessed this cruel kill last week in a local game reserve. I used a tripod, remote and live view (which on a 40D also works as a mirror lock up). I find that with macro photography I often have to use high ISO values to get enough DOF and freeze any movement (of the subject or myself when shooting hand held), something which obviously affects IQ.:confused:

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Shutter-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60
Av( Aperture Value ) 18.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2
ISO Speed 1000
Lens EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Focal Length 100.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Exposure Compensation +1
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode Manual focusing

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)

Robert O'Toole
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Great action and a good composition. A flower Crab Spider capturing a Hover Fly. Very nice.

There are some improvements that can really help improve the next image.
The subject, the Flower Crab Spider, should have sharp eyes, this is the most important thing.
Also I do not like this kind of image with a black background. This makes the image look like it was taken at night. Its simple to fix, just balance the ambient and flash. Be careful and watch for ghosting, I try to use a shutter speed at 1/200 or more to avoid this. Normally you shouldnt have to go higher than 400 ISO.

Good first post, keep them coming.

Robert

Ed Cordes
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Interesting subject. It seems as if it would be not only difficult to see, but harder to photograph. So, my hats off to you for getting the image at all. Re the techs of the image - it looks over flashed to me. I wonder if you had not used -2 EV, but, perhaps EV - 1/3 or even 0 on the camera and used a flash EV of about - 2/3 or - 1 if the balance would be better?

If possible a lower angle may have separated the spider's head from the bee's head.

Vincent Grafhorst
03-05-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks Robert and Ed for your help. Yes it is 'overflashed' because I deliberatly wanted a black BG, but I can see your point in that it makes it look unnatural. I wish I could have another go at this scene...:D

Cheers

Mike Moats
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey Vincent, very nice first post. For me the color looks a little oversaturated, and I usually don't mind the black BG with flower shots but with bugs I'd rather see a natural BG. Good details and comp.