PDA

View Full Version : Planning A Trip

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Any suggestions for a trip for next year and time of year.
I was thinking of Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Bosque, or Newfoundland. Would like to be able to do landscape as well as wildlfe. Could be up to a two week trip.
Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Jamie Strickland
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Really depends what your looking for Jackie

I would say NFLD would be diffiicult for 2 weeks, I was born and lived there until I was 20 and to be honest there is not a ton of wildlife to see, going there to photograph gannets / puffins is great though. There is wildlife no doubt but I dont know of anywhere to easily find them, lots of great landscapes though.

I have been to yellowstone now 2 times, once last fall and again a few weeks ago, if you have never been you have to do it at least once in your life. The Tetons are beautiful in the fall for landscapes, then head upto yellowstone for the Elk rut. Wildlife is plentiful and depending on what your looking for thats the time to head there.

Never been to Glacier, but from what I know landscapes is better than yellowstone but wildlife is more sparse

obviously for birds Bosque is the clear winner if your looking for diversity of birds, never been there yet but I plan to go next year for sure.

I think just getting away for a while is a bonus and you will enjoy wherever you go :)

Jeff Parker
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
My pick for landscape plus wildlife would be Tetons and Yellowstone.

As Jamie said, Glacier is great for landscapes but you have to work harder for wildlife.

Bosque is pretty awesome for the sheer number of birds, landscapes can be found with some effort.

For variety of birds plus some other critters South Texas can't be beat on an animals per acre basis. Not much in the way of landscapes though.

Rachel Hollander
06-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Alaska has a lot of opportunities for both landscape and wildlife. Although I agree that YNP and GTNP have it all as well.

Alfred Forns
06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Have to recommend Yellowstone Jackie End of Sept or late Jan would be best ! Lots to do and can contact Dale Franz if you need any help !! Will be a full sensory overload !!!

... if you go on your own can give you some suggestions !!

Jeff Parker
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I guess I had bad luck, but with 2 weeks in Alaska the only place I saw wildlife was in Denali. My research made it sound like in Denali you can just hop on and off the buses at will. Not so. They were all full, if you got on one you were stuck with it. Very frustrating, I wouldn't do it again without a photographers permit. Got skunked on landscapes as well. 12 out of 14 days were gray clouds to the ground and rain.:(

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys. I have lots of time to plan so will give all suggestions due consideration!

Alfred Forns
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
.... btw one you should leave out and not consider is Miami last two weeks in August :D

Steve Shapiro
06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Yellowstone in the winter is awesome for both landscape and wildlife. Many of the animals come down from the high country to graze and along with them come the predators (wolves and coyotes). The swans swimming in the streams feed by hot springs with snow in the background. I could go on and on. The weather is a gamble though. The week before i was there it was in the -20's. The week we were there it was 25-30 by mid day. Friends of Arizona Highways has a great photo trip.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks I think have decided on Yellowstone and the Tetons.