PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallow (Hirundo Rustica)

Asif Khan
06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello All, Been long time since I was here last - Missed you all ! Here is a Barn Swallow landing to collect nesting material. Appreciate your feedback.

Camera: Nikon D3S
Lens: 600mm f4/G
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Bias: -4/6 EV
Exposure Time: 1/2000
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO: 500
Gitzo Tripod with WH200

Thank you,
Asif

Stu Bowie
06-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Asif, I like the landing posture, together with the HA. Good colours on the head, and his nesting material a bonus. Overall, theswallow seems a little soft. The right foot of the swallow seems the sharpest and wonder if your focus point was there.

Asif Khan
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank you Stuart for your comments and feedback. You got it absolute right, the focus point was right at the right foot. Thanks again. Cheers.

Craig Brelsford
06-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Asif, good shot and not easy to get, yes it is a bit soft but I like the angle, it seems you may have been kneeling or lying on some muddy ground! The bottom center of the photo seems obscured by some type of brown vegetation. Would it have been possible to have cleared that away and waited for the swallow to return?

Laura Stiefel
06-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with the comments above. Having said that, I love this intimate view. Sharper would have been nicer but I think this is an incredibly inviting image as it is.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Asif,
I echo Laura's comments - very sweet viewpoint - you must have fast reflexes :D
Best
Nicki

Desmond Chan
06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
It looks to my some out-of-focus grass is in the way between you and your lens. That's why it looks soft. If you wish, you could try increasing the contrast of the parts that looks soft in post-processing.

Good catch !

Asif Khan
06-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments and feedback. Indeed, I was lying flat on ground for couple of hours took many shots and was able to get couple of good flight shots. Though this is little blurred, I liked the landing position. I have other sharp images, which i will post later. It was the first time I was shooting swallows and their swift speed makes it impossible to shoot them, even the D3S / 600mm f4G autofocus is not quick enough to react at which these tiny birds move :) ! I will add more contrast towards the wing and hope that helps sharpen it. I moved my position, little away from the vegetation and was able to get clear shots. Here is one more of them...

Camera: Nikon D3S
Lens: 600mm f4/G
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Bias: -4/6 EV
Exposure Time: 1/2000
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO: 500
Gitzo Tripod with WH200

Cheers

<!-- icon and title --> http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Barn Swallow (Hirundo Rustica)
<hr style="" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- attachments --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentthumbnail -->