PDA

View Full Version : vervet

Hilary Hann
06-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I haven't used the extrude filter before and wasn't sure what original photo to use. After playing around with a few, I settled on this little vervet monkey and as I played with various filters I ended up with this. I have been dealing a lot lately with teenagers going through lots of angst and emotional problems and this seemed to illustrate how they are feeling and acting. All hot with hormones and rage but with their humanity shining through their eyes. If we can get through these years there is hope! Anyway, that is how I saw it and how my little vervet illustrates it for me.
Workflow;
Extrude filter on the whole image; masked out face then cropped to a square image so that the filter was slightly off centre and unbalanced; Nik color efex infrared thermal filter; extrude at a higher value; remasked out the eyes back to the original then added a slight burnt sienna filter over the eyes to add a little less passivity.

Another interesting theme … made me think! :o

Lance Peters
06-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Way cool - like this a lot !!
If it was me - I might soften the eyes up a bit - just personal taste though.
Nice one :)

Hilary Hann
06-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks Lance, on reflection they do glare out at you a bit.

denise ippolito
06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Hilary, Ditto Lance on the eyes. I like the bright fun colors. Hard to pick an image that works well w/ this filter IMO. Very unique look to this!:)

Mark Fuge
06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Nice image and application, Hilary.

Agree that the image makes it with this filter. Something centered seems a bit better, but you just have to try and try again! ;)

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
The colours are electric Hilary. Good job combing the extrudes, agree with blurring the eye a bit to match the feel of the extrude. Wild!

Steve Adkins
06-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Hilary, Love the color and emotion. Inventive combo of filter effects. To me, your description of teenagers angst fits the eyes... as is. It might be lost if they are blurred.

Cheryl Slechta
06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Hillary, I love the extrude work - it looks like feathers-and the colors are awesome:) The eyes are kind of creepy but I'm not sure if softer would be better. (How about changing them to yellow?:eek:)

Hilary Hann
06-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Yellow eyes? I don't know, mind you if we think about teenagers perhaps yellow eyes would be apt. However, I did want to try and keep some human tones in the picture once I had decided what I was trying to depict. My son just laughed!!!

Thank you for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. :)

Kerry Perkins
06-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice work Hilary! This filter is difficult to find a "fit" for, but you did a good job matching it up to something meaningful in your life. As for the eyes, it might be interesting to try removing the catch light. Would be a different look. Well done!

Hilary Hann
06-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you Kerry, appreciate the comments.