PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Atlantic Puffin Cocked Head

Marina Scarr
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
This is my first post on BPN. I've been enjoying all the photos and comments and decided it was time for a post of my own. This was created last summer on Machias Seal Island. Unfortunately, the bird's chest is a bit blown out. Due to bad seas, we left 2 hrs late so the sun was a bit harsh, but I love the character and detail in the birds face.

Canon 30D, 300 F4L, no tripods allowed so leaned lens on blind window
Evaluative metering with 0 comp: F4, 1/3000, ISO 250
Did a little saturation & sharpening in my Canon program. Not much knowledge of PS yet.

Thank you in advance for your comments and critiques. Marina in Tampa, FL

Sabyasachi Patra
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Marina, Welcome to BPN.

I like the composition. However, my because of the positioning my eyes immediately zeroes on the head. I would have liked some more eye contact. The attention then moves from the head to the red beak. The shadow of the beak and the beak forms a pattern and then the shadow draws your attention to chest. Unfortunately the chest is burnt. You could have done with some negative compensation. Keep posting.

Steve Canuel
03-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi Marina,
Non-technical review here. I like this pic because of the inquisitive turn of the head of this guy. Makes me wonder what he's curious about. The shadows seem subtle enough to not distract and the light seems subdued and appears to radiate out in a circle from the point where his bill meets his head, in my opinion a neat effect. I also like the appearance of the colors, a bit less saturated than normal, again in my opinion, a nice effect.
Steve

Arthur Morris
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Marina, I believe that we chatted once... The whites look as if they have detail from here. While I do like the inquisitive pose I find myself wishing to see the eyes...

later and love, artie

Glenn Bartley
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Welcome! It will be great to have you posting here. In this image I think that some eye contact is really needed.

Dave Phillips
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Marina and welcome from Louisiana.
Very expressive image, but wow, what just a wee bit of eye contact would do.
To me the highlights are fine, no where near hot

Norman Pyett
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Hello Marina, I absolitely love this shot. This is a species I've wanted to shoot for years.....One day I'll make it up to Maine.