PDA

View Full Version : This Tree's On Fire

Richard Waas
06-16-2010, 07:11 AM
One of the nicest things about Miami in the summer is the blooming of the Royal Poinciana Tree. This tree was imported from Asia about 75 years ago and is truly a delight to see. This is a 3 image HH HDR of the most common variety, red. There are rarer varieties of orange and yellow. Canon 5D MK II, EF24-70mm f/2.8L, 24mm, Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash.

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I am guessing you had some breeze due to the registering of the HDR images but I like the affect alot - sort of like an Orton affect.

I find the pavement and hedges distracting from the beauty of the tree. My suggestion would revisiting this tree with a wide angle and short telephoto and work details more closely such as a wide-angle from underneath the tree looking up, or a short tele and zooming in on interesting patterns, shapes and colors in the canopy.

Alfred Forns
06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Richard

Like it as presented, I grew up with those trees and associate with urban environment. Perspective is just right and like how you caught some of the fallen leaves providing color on the ground.

....this year seems to be a good one for those trees !! .....btw South Miami Ave is a great place to photograph them

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Richard,

Hope I did not give you impression I did not like the OP. I do. My critique was to suggest alternate possibilities for you. Nice work.

Richard Waas
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Robert. I did use both wide angle and telephoto and and have shots all the way to a single flower. Thanks for the suggestion though. There was a very slight breeze that day, maybe 3-5 mph, but I likes the effect as well. As Alfred mentioned, these are large trees and I haven't found one sitting all by itself. All of them have been in urban settings. At least I cloned out the mailbox, light pole, garbage cans and car....... Hooray for CS5 edit content aware!!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Gorgeous colour Richard. Might have liked to have seen the whole thing, but I guess there were some distracting elements on the sides. Like the softness of it. Good suggestions by Robert.

Richard Waas
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I can't fool you Jackie. There was a dumptruck parked in the street along with several workers vans. I cropped the right side to balance the image.........

Lance Peters
06-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Richard - oooooo I see this begging for infrared!!
Nice HDR work - realistic and like the composition!!
Good Show :)

Harold Davis
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
that's some really nice HDR work, richard!! love the colors here. there are a few in the area. i love those things!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
That was my grandfather favorite. They are also very common in Cuba and the islands. Love your HDR work on this one my friend.;)

Dave Mills
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Richard,living in NJ this tree is totally alien to me. It's spectacular when in bloom. I think you handled it well for the setting it was in. My eye seems to rest on a diagonal line of color. For exposure the HDR is effective andwith the blowing leaves gives it a subtle painterly effect. Even though the tree is close to the center it's slightly offset. Interesting image and will not go unnoticed!

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks Robert. I did use both wide angle and telephoto and and have shots all the way to a single flower. Thanks for the suggestion though. There was a very slight breeze that day, maybe 3-5 mph, but I likes the effect as well. As Alfred mentioned, these are large trees and I haven't found one sitting all by itself. All of them have been in urban settings. At least I cloned out the mailbox, light pole, garbage cans and car....... Hooray for CS5 edit content aware!!

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know you were working the subject. I hope you post some of those other images soon.