PDA

View Full Version : Goose Down

Bill McCrystyn
03-03-2008, 09:29 PM
20D 100-400L IS @ ISO400 F/6.3 1/1250 EVALUTIVE +.67 HANDHELD

Trying to improve on exposure for shadows and highlights (note techs). The bummer is the large f/stops with the shallow DOF makes it tough on the big birds.

Alfred Forns
03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Bill

At this distance you get plenty of dof Don't worry much about it

Not sure why you had to go to + .67 comp? Would have guessed even at best and probably 1.3 under There is a cast on the water should be easy to correct Might also suggest cropping top and bottom. Will give more of a sense of motion and make the bird larger in frame Can't tell much detail in the bird !!

For this images try using a slow shutter speed for a blurred effect Do look nice !!!s

Bill McCrystyn
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Alfred, what do you mean by a cast? On the exposure I still had to selectivly level up the facing wing.??

Alfred Forns
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Bill I am talking about a strong magenta cast over the image Not sure how it got there? Will color correct and paste below

Bill McCrystyn
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok, now I see it. Yours appears to me on my monitor to be a little on the cyan side. I am working on it as we speak. I have also tightened up the crop for a closer look as you suggested. I will repost soon. Thanks ever so much for your help as always.

Bill McCrystyn
03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Here is my repost based on Al's suggestions. The magenta hue came from my color balancing the water for more blue. I think I have held the blue without the magenta or compromising the Goose and white collar and water splash. With color balance I added +5 to green and +8 to blue in highlights.

Alfred Forns
03-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Bill to make the water bluer you could increase the saturation of the blue channel. When you start adding colors something is going to happen

I downloaded the image and checked the whites and black in the head. The colors are not neutral. You still have a strong color cast. MIght want to look at the original before making changes

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Bill,

You may need to tighten up on your color management if your version is not showing the magenta color cast. Have you profiled the monitor?

Bill McCrystyn
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
OK, now this is getting interesting. Are you guys saying the last post is magenta biased? I went to levels and went white check on the wtaer splash and black on the neck, hit auto and got no change after I had corrected the color balance, once I saw it. If I go to H/S and select colors with the dropper it all looks right, blue and white, no problem?? Nothing in it comes near magenta. Am I missing something. This is the same monitor and same eyes I have been using since I started posting here. Alfreds post looks very cyanish on my monitor?

Oh, Robert, I have not calibrated my monitor with instrumentation. I corrected with Gamma, monitor color control and my eye against what I print. "Sometimes" I do have a slight magenta cast to blues but I catch it when I print. My workflow is all Adobe RGB of course with no printer color adjustment.

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Bill,

Looking at the last post, it looks a lot better at home (calibrated) then at work (uncalibrated just Adobe Gamma). I posted a Levels corrected version below (not much of a change from your repost) that I pumped up the saturation in the magenta, cyan and blue channels - that shows where the color cast is. There is not a magenta cast in the water and a bit on the wings. But the image still looks funky with that color water to me. Color appears OK though in PSCS. Very interesting. Thanks for the help fathoming this out but looks like you are AOK on your end..