PDA

View Full Version : Leopard

Ken Watkins
06-15-2010, 03:45 AM
OK so it has a road in it:o
We followed this Leopard for a long distance and were presented with virtually no opportunities, so in the end I resorted to taking from a moving, albeit slowly, vehicle.

Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana, 26th April, 2010

EOS 1D MkIII

28-300mm at 200mm

F7.1, ISO 400, 1/2000

Morkel Erasmus
06-15-2010, 04:07 AM
to me these roads don't look like roads and they can just as well be sandy patches of earth in the bush. lovely light and look-back pose...

Harshad Barve
06-15-2010, 04:26 AM
these are highways for big cats , I have ZERO problems with them , excellent look back pose and light here
TFS

Hilary Hann
06-15-2010, 04:33 AM
I don't see a road, maybe a dry river bed or something similar. Pretty good IQ for a moving vehicle shot.

Ken Watkins
06-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Perhaps I should clarify my position on roads, at all times I tried to avoid including roads or any man made object in my images unless it adds someting to the picture. There are of course roads and roads, the tarred roads in Kruger are awful, the sandy or gravel roads in others can be acceptable, but I always like to exclude obvious signs such as tyre tracks.

Not that I would turn down an unmissable oppurtunity.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-15-2010, 05:26 AM
I agree Ken. Tarred roads are awful. Also, those roads encourage speeding and animals get hit.

A leopard sighting is always nice. You got a good look back pose. I understand that you were on a moving vehicle. Else, a narrow aperture and lower shutter speed would have been nice. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Ken - I agree with your thoughts on the roads but unfortunately they are sometimes unavoidable. Under the conditions, looks like like you did what you could with the opportunity. I particularly like the look back pose.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Ken, knowing your love of roads this did surprise me :D

A very natural & typical shot in this location, like it and on the move you have done well too, probably down to H's driving :)

Going back to the Reds etc, yes again, there is a slight hint, but dropping the Red/Yellow marginally and tweaking the exposure a fraction as discussed I think it is getting towards your thoughts. WDYT?

Steve

Marc Mol
06-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Despite the road issue, I do like this Ken. We take 'em where we can.;)
A great look back pose here from this male, well captured.
TFS

Alfred Forns
06-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Ken The density increase by Steve did improve the image but color wise it was close .. .did you change browsers?

Don't mind the road at all and the pose and look back work just great !!!

Sid Garige
06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Great eye contact and pose. I dont have road side issues :)

RakeshDhareshwar
06-17-2010, 06:35 AM
The eye contact makes this a very strong image . Lots of room around , great light and lovely pose !! Altogether an awesome image !!