PDA

View Full Version : Amberwing

Don Lacy
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I am normally shooting dragons this time of the year but have not had much time to get out and shoot and when I did have time I could not pass up an opportunity to shoot a Least Tern colony. So I feel like I have been neglecting you guys in the macro forum but I promise to get out and shoot some dragons and damsels soon I might even break down and shoot one of those girlie flower images:) Until then here is an image I made last year in Big Cyprus of an Eastern Amberwing DF, not you usual comp placing him so far to the right but I like the flow of the image.

Julie Kenward
06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
And we've missed seeing your images as well, Don. These have got to be my favorite - something about their smaller, shorter body and that cute little face! I love the plants here - so much better than most perches and the DOF and green/brown color scheme really works. Might take a slight bit off the right side of the frame but not much. Excellent exposure and overall image. You can tell you love photographing these dragon/damselflies!

Cheryl Flory
06-15-2010, 06:33 AM
I too like the image! especially that you can see each tiny hair, and that they are so sharp. love the eyes. Can you do anything with them selectively to make them look sharper or more contrasted to accent them more? I think I would crop off the left side to remove the extra leaves, focusing the attention on the insect.

Thomas Herou
06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Superb colors and composition,Don!
Love it!

Ken Childs
06-15-2010, 07:24 AM
She's a beauty! I'm with Cheryl with the crop. Those dark partial leaves on the left don't add anything to the shot, IMHO.

One of the main reasons this dfly species is so much fun to shoot is that they are small enough to be able to perch on things that the bigger species can't perch on.

thijs broekkamp
06-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice one! Beautiful light! but i think i liked it more if the dragon was in the left and the space was on the right of the frame

Don Hamilton Jr.
06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
okay, Lacy, i went out last weekned, but forgot the extension tube, so no keepers, I'm all ears gang, on going out and capturing some of these stunning images!!! Don your images are awesome!!!! Any pointers would be much appreciate.. like where do i start!
TIS Don

OvidiuCavasdan
06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the comp and colors, good looking reds against green. Nice light and beautiful BG. I might be tempted to clone the leaves bottom left. Also would have been nice having him looking inside the frame but this is something you can not control. It is a very nice image.

Don Lacy
06-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I too like the image! especially that you can see each tiny hair, and that they are so sharp. love the eyes. Can you do anything with them selectively to make them look sharper or more contrasted to accent them more? I think I would crop off the left side to remove the extra leaves, focusing the attention on the insect.
Hi Cheryl, I normally do selectively sharpen the eyes but since upgrading to CS5 my favorite sharpening plugin does not work in 64 bit made so i skipped it this time:) Here is another version cropped a little tighter and I cloned out the OOF grass and added my usual sharpening routine in CS3

Paul Lagasi
06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Very nicely captured, ove the colors of this Dragonfly, sharp, and lovely backgorund...well done

Roman Kurywczak
06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey Don,
Considering the tern shots you got.....who can balme you! Repost is right on.....in both comp and BG.....very nicely done!

Vida van der Walt
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Lovely shot Don! Repost even better. Beautiful colours, pin sharp and love all the space.:)

Allen Sparks
06-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Gorgeous shot...love the composition with the large perch and background. great sharpness too.