PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Puffin

Austin Thomas
06-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

I am just back from a trip to Norway and Finland, primarily photographing birds together with my friend and forum member Rich Steel. This Puffin was taken on an island off the NE coast of Norway called Hornoya, inside the arctic circle. In the four hours on the island we had sunshine, rain, and light snow or sleet, which was challenging to say the least!

Taken with a Canon 1dMK4, 500mm f6.3, 1/1000, ISO200.

C&C welcome.

Cheers

Austin

Raymond Barlow
06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
wonderful image Austin, I hope to see these birds in newfoundland this summer, they are incredibly beautiful.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Great portrait, I particularly like that we can see the tongue so well. If it were mine, I would lighten the iris. I look forward to more images from your trip.

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Austin, similar to Shetland were I was then.:D You weren't with Danny G as well by chance?

Classic expression and the depth of blue really pings the puffin out. think there might be some more detail in the eye you could get out, and watch the greyish tones in the face, looks like a fraction of magenta there.

TFS
Steve ;)

Stu Bowie
06-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey Aystin, just love the detail and colours here, and well timed to capture the protruding tongue. Looking forward to more.

Alfred Forns
06-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Austin Love the open beak and tongue, lots of shadow detail and all razor sharp !! Personally, I like fg oof grass and selected crop !!

Raymond are you going to Witless Bay or Bonavista?

Robert Amoruso
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Good use of sidelighting to bring out the details. I too see some magenta in the whites.

Fabs Forns
06-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Very nice action captured, I think the eye could be a bit lighter. I like the bit of green included and the deep blue BG.

Phil Ertel
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Austin,

I like the image. I agree with the positive comments above. Put me down for also liking the out of focus vegetation in the foreground. This is an effective portrait in my opinion. I hope you don't mind I was curious how some of the suggestions would effect the presentation so did the following in photoshop.
1. I set the white and black point using a threshold and levels layer.
2. Used a non-distructive dodge burn technique to lighten the darker areas of the face just a little.
3. I lightened the Iris a touch.

Of course it is up to you if you think these adjustments have a positive effect on the presentation. Just something to consider.

Thanks for sharing!

Phil

Jim Fenton
06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I like the original better for the softness of the lighting.

Wonderful portrait with a great foreground and background.

Crop is perfect.

Some day if I get lucky I'll see one of these in person :)

Harshad Barve
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Mighty fine image Austin and loved this as posted
TFS

Troy Lim
06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Fine image, like the repost better, original is a bit dark.