PDA

View Full Version : Hello from CT

Ben Harris
06-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Good morning all. New guy here, found the link on thephotoforum.com and figured this might be a good place to learn and get honest critique.

A little about myself and my photography. I'm born and bred in Connecticut from old yankee stock. I always joke that my grandfather would have loved digital photography just because you're not "wasting film" if you miss a shot.

I started learning photography on an old Minolta SRT-201 when I was in high school. After that, I kind of set it aside due to costs of processing and gear.

Fast forward ten years and a friend of mine goes out and buys a Pentax K20D. I was pretty impressed and decided I'd look around for a DSLR for myself. Ended up choosing a D60. Shortly thereafter I went out and bought a 70-300 4-5.6 VR. I discovered that I liked shooting birds a lot. I'm currently trying to get some good shots of the Baltimore Orioles nesting in a tree behind my house. Apparently I also have two pairs of Ruby-throated humming birds around too, but I have yet to determine where they're nesting.

Which brings me here. I would love to become a pro or semi-pro bird photographer. The first hurtle I must overcome is creative. I'm on my way after a year. I have a long way to go, but with the gear I have, I think I'm doing okay. The second hurdle (which I'm sure most can attest to) is affording gear or making gear pay for itself. Hopefully I can get some advice on both topics.

Before I go and post any image for critique in the ETL forum, I had a question about posting here not answered by the FAQ or rules. Most other forums I frequent allow hot-linking from Flickr and other image hosting sites. Does one have to host it here or is hot-linking okay?

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2010, 06:36 AM
A warm welcome Ben, I think you will find all the answers you need here, you just need to ask sometimes :-)

When posting, try and include all relevant info about the image, but also, if it is in a critique forum it is very helpful to perhaps to outline what you are looking for in terms of feedback, ie techs, comp, colour, POV etc etc hopefully then you will get the correct information and will aid your development.

Look forward to seeing some posts soon.

Steve

Axel Hildebrandt
06-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Welcome to BPN, Ben! I look forward to seeing your images and yes, you can link from your Flickr account, just make sure to use the correct link to post the right size. (Right click on image in Flickr, copy link, go to BPN, use yellow 'insert image button' above text box and paste link). Let me know if you have any questions.

Harold Davis
06-14-2010, 04:10 PM
welcome to BPN, ben!! you found the right place! dont hesitate, just jump right in a post a picture. dont forget to leave a few comments too. others will appreciate it and you will learn just as much from that side of it as the other.

btw, if you are on facebook, drop by and give us a LIKE!!! thanks!

Daniel Cadieux
06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome aboard Ben!! You'll fit right in! As I'm sure you already found out, bird photography is an addictive hobby :-)

denise ippolito
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Big Welcome to BPN!

Julie Kenward
06-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Welcome Ben! Look forward to seeing your images.