PDA

View Full Version : Ox Eye Daisy

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro & polariser mounted on monopod. ISO 400 -0.66 EV, 1/640 sec f8

This was taken in the first few hours of daylight, I saw this daisy and the silhouette of the fly, it looked attractive at the time. I have re-cropped to make the daisy less central but having made the image I am not too sure about the composition.

All comments welcome.

Julie Kenward
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Very nice, Jonathon! The bug is a definite plus here! Love the backlighting and how you've overexposed it to keep the shadows from being too intense.

I think the comp is fine - you could maybe shave a bit off the left side or you could go vertical - either works. I suggest opening up the center of the flower just a little bit more so we can see more detail and maybe try selecting the insect and darkening him just a bit by pulling down the dark tone slider in levels. It might give him a little more emphasis.

What aperture and ss did you use?

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback Julie - I will try your suggestions.:)

Dave Leroy
06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Interesting composition and I like the idea.

I also like the nice soft muted colours though out the photo.

Ken Childs
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Jon, I like the backlit petals and the bug silhouette is a real bonus. As Jules mentioned, bringing up the center of the flower would help and if it were mine, I would take a lot off the left and a bit off the top and right. Close to a square but with a bit more on the vertical. If you have more canvas on the bottom, a taller vertical might look good.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I might trying blending the green streak on the LHS, but otherwise I really like this image.

Roman Kurywczak
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Very cool find and Ken's repost makes it shine even more. Perhaps a touch more space top and right.....but definitely direction to explore!

Paul Lagasi
06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I tried not to read any comments..so here goes..I really like the image, only thing I'd change/remove is the yellow area to the left of flower and the dark area in ULC...very nice with the insect on flower

Mike Moats
06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey Jonathan, very cool idea and love the critter shadow, have to say Ken repost really made this into a great image.

Don Lacy
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi Jonathan, Love the backlit fly and Ken's repost.

Mike Fuhr
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
I really like this one, especially the repost. Way to go in not only seeing the bug but going for something a little different.:)

OvidiuCavasdan
06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Good eye on this! Very nice backlit and shadows, also the fly! Like it a lot! Ken's repost works wery well.

Jonathan Ashton
06-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments and especially you Ken for taking the time to post a modification - much appreciated.